Brighouse Town Women set up Newcastle United clash with FA Cup win

Brighouse Town Women stormed into the second round of the Vitality Women’s FA Cup with a resounding 3-0 victory over Chester-le-Street at the Washington Hub on Sunday.

Wednesday, 16th December 2020, 11:46 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th December 2020, 11:48 am
Abi Lee scored two early goals. Pic: Ray Spencer

In-form Town’s reward is a tasty home tie against Newcastle United Women on Sunday, January 3 with a 1pm kick-off at the Yorkshire Payments Stadium.

Victory in this game would put Town into the draw with the big guns of women’s football later in January, with the chance of a possible television appearance and valuable prize money.

Town went in to last weekend’s game full of confidence after playing out a 0-0 draw with higher league opposition Burnley the previous week and having kept an impressive seven clean sheets from their eight games this season.

That confidence was clear to see from the start of the game with Town dominating the early possession.

A blistering start to the game saw the West Yorkshire side take the lead inside two minutes, Abi Lee scoring her first for the club, finishing of a superb team goal.

The lead was doubled just four minutes later, this time Lee getting on the end of an Ellie White pass to fire into the top corner from 30 yards. The hosts were in big trouble and Town were in complete control.

The third and final goal of the afternoon came on the 20th minute mark when a long free kick from Emma Dobson found its way in to the box and Becky Gompertz was quickest to react as she looped the ball over the advancing keeper to finish-off the game as a contest.

Town did have two goals ruled out for offside, both very tight decisions, with the first from Lee who was probably just offside and the second from 16-year-old Katja May, who was probably just onside but didn’t get the decision as she calmly slotted in for what would have been her first goal for the club.

A player of the match performance from Ellie Dobson in the middle of the park was well deserved as Town saw out the second half comfortably to book their place in the second round.