Warriors’ late try is a winner

Rugby league - Whitehall Warriors (green) v Queensbury A (blue).'Alex Scargill touches down for Whitehall.
Rugby league - Whitehall Warriors (green) v Queensbury A (blue).'Alex Scargill touches down for Whitehall.

THE outcome was in doubt between the top two teams in the division up to the last few minutes.

Queensbury won the toss and elected to play down the slight slope.

The early exchanges were intense with the play hardly getting inside either of the two 20 metre areas.

Good defences made sure neither side could get a foothold until the 15th minute when a miss read by the Whitehall winger allowed his opposite number, Andy Waller to use the overlap and score.

It took Whitehall five minutes to respond when good work by Steve Halliwell and Dan Golden-Smith and an excellent pass from Barry Stead sent a Alex Scargill over the line, Jamie Holroyd missing the conversion.

Ill discipline by the Queensbury defence combined with some quick plays by Lee Nellis and Kieron Stafford allowed Whitehall to dominate much of the rest of the half with some good runs and brutal defence of Andrew Johnson, Mark Bolger and Steve Halliwell, but it stayed at 6- 4 at half time.

It was a poor start to the second half by Whitehall, when player-coach Richard Casanove was penalised for an incorrect play the ball allowing Queensbury good field position, which they used to create an overlap, and Aaron Moore scored in the corner with a good touchline conversion following.

Two minutes later Sam Chonley for Queensbury had to leave the field with a knee injury.

Hard yards were made for Whitehall by Nat Greenwood and Luke Seagar creating the position for Stead to fool the Queensbury defence, taking the ball on the short side on the last tackle and putting Andrew Johnson in at the corner.

Jamie Holroyd converted from the touchline.

It was 12-10 to Queensbury and Casanove had to leave the field to have a cut to the nose sorted.

While he was off the field, Queensbury kicked early in the tackle count, taking Whitehall by surprise and scored a try under the posts which was duly converted.

From the restart, the ball sailed into touch on the full and gifted field position to Queensbury and they scored another try, wide enough out for the conversion to fail, but at 22-10 it looked bleak for Whitehall.

Good runs from James Spivey, Dan Kelly and Stead led to a position where Casanove could use his bulk to force his way over for a try, Holroyd again converting.

After 70 minutes, Whitehall conceded a silly penalty on the last tackle to give Queensbury a chance to win the game, however great defence from Scargill, Ross Williams and Ashley Caine kept the try line intact.

The when Mark Bolger made another great run in midfield the Queensbury defence was stretched and a short pass from Stafford gave Casanove just enough room to stretch over and score, Jamie Holroyd converting to level.

Both sides were looking for the winner, but a midfield break by the impressive John Hanscomb led to the position for Holroyd to attempt a drop goal.

It failed, but with the ball bouncing round in the in-goal area, Hanscombe was quickest to react and scored the match winning try, Holroyd again converting.