Victory in the mud

WITH only one recognised half back in Stuart Proctor, who was only 80 per cent fit, this was always going to be an hard game.

With Rangers second team game called off second team captain joe Taphouse stepped in as did second-rower Carl Goodiare.

Within five minutes of the start the pitch cut up and became a bit off a bog.

Rangers opted to play downhill in the first half, and although dominating possesion could not break Odsal’s line in the first 20 minutes.

It was a different Odsal team than in the cup tie last week. After gaining yards yet again through centre Reece Spurr and strong running wingman Andy Collins, Rangers finally got on the scoresheet when Terry Moon offloaded inside to big Wayne Jowett to bust through.

Time and time again Rangers’ captain Scott Bradley got the line going and running at pace only to drop the ball as the line was begging.

Odsal had plenty of spirit and kept coming back at Rangers, but with the ball in Rangers half, Muff stepped inside to deceive them before offloading to Proctor, who smartly went over in the corner.

Straight from the off Lee Buckley ran through Odsal’s defence to make yards and from the next couple of plays second-rower Andy Seagar side-stepped his way over and Frankland converted to make it 14 - 0.

Frankland knocked the ball backwards after a bomb but was adjudged to have knocked on and it was time for Rangers to defend.

When Odsal chipped a ball over both Frankland and Odsal’s Jared Priestley grounded it together with the referee giving the attacking side the benefit of doubt and awarded a try, which was converted by the try scorer.

This spurred Odsal on and they attacked for the next 10 minutes but Rangers’ defence stood firm.

The pitch by this time looked fit for mud wrestling, but Rangers suddenly started to gain the upper hand again.

Odsal had a player sin binned with five minutes to go on their own 20 yard line and Rangers were awarded a penalty.

Rangers opted to run the ball but seemed to run out of ideas as they got within two yards of the Odsal line on the third tackle only for prop Buckley to pass straight into the arms of Odsal’s centre Liam Coe, who gratefully accepted and ran the full lenght of the pitch with Goodiare giving chase all the way.

Coe kept going to go over for the try, which Priestley converted and it was 14-12 to Rangers.

After dominating for so much of the game rangers were suddenly hanging on.

Odsal kept going and deserved some praise for the way they reacted in the second half but just came up short.

Bit was two more points towards promotion for Rangers with four games to go.