Town hit three in well-deserved victory

Share this article

IT was a well deserved win at last for Town on Tuesday night, against the south Yorkshire club battling against relegation.

This was Town’s first victory since February and how their manager, his assistant Darren Attwood and the 81 fans enjoyed it.

Manager Mark Brier said: “To be fair there were individuals that were very good but I am more pleased that they played as a team.

“We should have won the game on Saturday.

“As far as I am concerned we worked our backsides off to try and make it right. You can’t always get it right, especially with the injuries we have had and it has been a hard season.

“And I am very pleased we could put a performance in and finish the chances we created, and I am pleased for the lads because it doesn’t always come off for them but this time they were rewarded.

“It was a team effort from start to finish, we are not talking about individuals, they played as a team,” he said.

Town made a strong start and in the first 15 minutes Hallam only visited Town’s half twice.

Two minutes later Alex O’Keefe broke down the left wing in his own half, running some 60 yards before passing to Chris Walton who picked out Wayne Crossley.

He finished in superb style on the angle to put Town ahead.

In the 22nd minute teenage keeper Paul Hagreen defended the Town goal well when he snuffed out Aaron Moxam’s attempt.

Six minutes later Walton and Damian Hopkins created a sitter for Nathan Cartman who sent the ball wide from six yards out.

Cartman then hit the crossbar from a free kick 30 yards out before Hopkins sent the ball wide from the deflection.

In the 34th Ben Kissell tested keeper Hargreen but he confidently dealt with the attempt.

Turning round 1-0 up and four minutes in, the impressive Crossley put a supberb ball in for Ben Charlesworth to score and make it 2-0.

Several minutes later Crossley passed to Cartman and lined up for Walton to side foot it into the back of the net but he kicked it high over the goal.

In the 68th minute Walton had another attempt but again fired it over the crossbar.

In the 71st minute Cartman kicked right across the width of the field to Crossley and he made ground to put a superb cross over and Hopkins flicked the ball over the crossbar, missing the open goal.

Two minutes later Hallam were reduced to 10 men when captain Steve Wankiewicz was sent off for allegedly head butting a Town player as they lined up for a corner.

His team mates’ protests that he only moved his head forward were waved away.

In the 76th minute Danny Hull created well to set Cartman up who finally ended his goal scoring drought and made it 3-0.

Walton and Cartman were then brought off and Lee Burgess and Marshall Riley came on.

With five minutes to go Hageen again spread himself and denied Moxam.

Town then made their last substitution and brought on Rastrick cricketer Chris Dennison to replace Alex O’Keefe.

To end their nightmare game, Hallam’s Moxam was given a yellow card for swearing at the referee, MrGreenhalgh, who handled the game well.