Town find little fun at seaside

Bridlington Town v Brighouse Town
Bridlington Town v Brighouse Town

BRIGHOUSE Town came back from the East Coast empty handed, losing to leaders Bridlington Town but will perhaps reflect that not capitalising on a very good start was their downfall, although it must be said Brid were worthy winners in the end.

Danny Naidole had struck the top of the crossbar after only three minutes and had a penalty shout for handball denied after six minutes as they dominated a nervy looking home side.

The pressure told and Town took the lead when Naidole scored with superb header from a brilliant cross from Leon Henry.

As the match wore on Brid started to come into the game and Ash Allanson had their first attempt on goal on 15 minutes when he shot over.

Town were inches away from extending their lead when Naidole’s volley shaved the upright when the ball fell to him after a clearance from a corner.

James Sutcliffe’s free kick was well saved by Wilberforce after Adam Wilson was fouled on the edge of the box.

Wilson had moved up into midfield from his usual centre back role and was running the show for Town with his excellent distribution.

Town made an excellent break out of defence. Superb passing involving Wilson, Sutcliffe and Naidole released Danny Hull but his pass, which would have allowed Leon Henry a clear run on goal was well cut out by Frank Belt.

Within a minute Brid equalised when the Town defence allowed Tom Fleming to head home from a corner. Craig Palmer then brought a good save out of Ben Imeson.

Just before half-time, Henry went on a weaving run across the edge of the box before hitting a powerful left foot shot that Wilberforce pushed out.

The half ended with the sides level even though Town had the majority of the play especially early in the game.

The second half started scrappily but Town created the first chance.

Again it was Henry jinking past defenders before testing Wilberforce with a good shot.

Brid were playing with far more purpose in the second half and took the lead on 55 minutes when Town were slow to close down on the edge of the box and allowed James Bennett to score with an excellent curling shot to make it 2-1.

This spurred Brid on and they extended their lead on 60 minutes when Josh Greening scored despite looking offside.

Town were struggling to get any service to their front players and only threatened from a couple of corners and free-kicks - Wilson heading Naidole’s corner over and Jaggar unable to keep his shot down when the ball came to him from Sutcliffe’s free kick.

Sam Akeroyd replaced Naidole on 72 minute and he brought a good low save from Wilberforce with a left foot shot.

Henry linked up with Tom Matthews with some neat football but could not get a shot in after Matthews’ clever back heel gave him space.

Town finished the game with a fair amount of possession but Brid seemed content to protect their lead and hit the locals on the break and it worked for them on 90 minutes when Robbie Hawkes made it 4-1.

The final score was a little harsh on Town but Brid deserve credit for coping with the pressure of knowing they had to win this game in their attempt to be crowned champions next week in the title decider against Retford Utd and that incentive might have been the motivation for them to put in a dominant second half performance.