Town delighted to be back in the cup

Share this article

BRIGHOUSE Town have been reinstated into the Baris NCEL League Cup after Pickering Town played a cup-tied player in the second round of the competition last Tuesday.

Pickering were found to have used a cup-tied player in their 5-0 home win over Town.

Brighouse will now take Pickering’s place in the third round.

The player who appears to be at the centre of this for Pickering is Dave Hartas, who, since playing for Scarborough Athletic in the first round, had been transferred to Pickering Town.

Pickering have a right of appeal against the decision.

The revised draw is: Askern Villa/AFC Emley v Brighouse Town, Nostell Miners Welfare v Selby Town, Parkgate v Hall Road Rangers, Shirebrook Town v Long Eaton United, Teversal v Staveley Miners Welfare, Thackley v Retford United, Winterton Rangers v Bottesford Town, Worsbrough Bridge Athletic v Albion Sports/Barton Town Old Boys. Baris NCEL President’s Cup Semi-finals: Barton Town Old Boys v Staveley Miners Welfare/Tadcaster Albion Handsworth v Winterton Rangers.

“We will just have to see what the outcome of any appeal is.

“But if we are confirmed then as back in, it would be nice to have a derby with with Emley rather than chase down to Doncaster for another night game,” said vice-chairman Ray McLaughlin.

Meanwhile, ahead of Saturday’s home game with Lincoln Moorlands (3pm) - the club’s first since in the league early November - manager Paul Quinn has had his squad boosted by the return of promising midfielder Danny Hull and full-back Simon Wood.

Hull had been left out of two recent games after a seven day notice was placed on him by Wakefield where Wood was also playing.

Following the rapid departure of the former Brighouse Town coaching team - as reported on page 52 - Hull wanted to come back and Wood, who has been there all season so far, opted to come back to the Dual Seal Stadium where he coaches the club’s U-18 and 19 players.

It was another frustrating weekend for Quinn and his charges as the game at Lincoln was off for a waterlogged pitch, one of only two postponements in their division.

Fingers were being crossed that the weather will not deteriorate for Saturday and Town can get a home game in or face being without one until the first week of January.

The club’s second team have lost the last two weeks to ground conditions and this Saturday have to travel to Mytholmroyd for a Halifax Challenge Cup tie despite being drawn at home.

Darren Laycock’s boys are enjoying their cup runs and besides taking on Golcar Utd next in the West Riding FA Cup they have now to entertain Littletown at the Dual Seal Stadium in the last eight after seeing off Tyersal 2-1 in the previous round.

“We have a good chance of getting to the semi-finals in that competition and we are also into the last 16 of the Halifax Cup on Saturday (1.30pm).

“So we have a good chance of still being in every cup competition, as we enter the new year, which is no mean feat,” said Laycock.

”Off the pitch it’s been a good couple of weeks, with former first team captain Mark Brady joining me as assistant manager of the reserves.”

He will bring knowledge and experience to the reserves, said Laycock.

Brady’s previous clubs include Tranmere Rovers as an apprentice, Warrington Town, Farsley Celtic, Ossett Albion, where he won two NCEL Premier League titles, Winterton, Tadcaster Albion and Liversedge.

He also spent time abroad where he played in the French Cup, and semi pro with Strasbourg.

“We have also signed Lee Caulhard, who spent time with Halifax Town juniors before playing for Bradford Park Avenue U19s and then moving on to Ossett Town. The central midfielder will add more depth to the already strong Town squad.

“It was good to see some of the reserves given their chance in the first team away at Pickering in the cup.

“The result was not what we wanted but the experience for the youngsters was invaluable.

“And it will stand them in great stead, as they now know what standard is required, and now know what level of performance is also required of them, week in and week out, to take and hold on to that first team jersey.”