Town crash to late goal

Actions from the game Brighouse Town v Winterton, FA Vase, at St Giles Road'Pictured for Brighouse is captain Danny Hull
Actions from the game Brighouse Town v Winterton, FA Vase, at St Giles Road'Pictured for Brighouse is captain Danny Hull
Share this article

TOWN’S recent run of good form came to an end with an injury time winner from ex-Manchester United and Bradford City player Ben Muirhead.

Town could consider themselves unlucky not to at least take a point from this game, but in fairness they were never at their best and gave away some very poor goals which is always a recipe for trouble.

Play was fairly downbeat but even in the early stages Tom Hyde brought a save from Ben Imeson and a well worked short corner between Adam Wilson and Danny Naidole saw the latter flash the ball across the face of goal.

Armthorpe took the lead after 14 minutes when a looping cross from James Walker was gathered by Imeson but he could not prevent the ball crossing the line as he fell backwards.

The goal stirred Town into life and they upped the pace in search of an equaliser and that duly came on 21 minutes.

Sam Akeroyd picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and advanced towards the edge of the box before unleashing a dipping shot that flew into the net for his first goal for the club.

Town kept up the pressure and dominated until half-time.

Tom Matthews worked space for himself on the edge of the box and hit a powerful shot that was saved by Armthorpe keeper Jamie Green.

Matthews then turned provider when he turned his marker inside out and laid the ball into the path of Danny Hull who confidently side footed the ball home to give Town the lead on 38 minutes.

All the good work Town had done in the first half to get on top and take the lead was undone within six minutes of the second half when they allowed James Stanesfield to head home from a corner to equalise for Armthorpe.

Despite the setback Town still had the majority of the play.

Naidole had a cross drift on to the top of the crossbar and Adam Wilson volleyed over following a corner.

Just after the hour mark, Matthews did well to release Naidole who carried the ball into the box and feinted to shoot before rounding the keeper and going down under a challenge but the referee waived away Town’s penalty appeals.

Armthorpe threatened on 67 minutes when Walker was inches away from connecting with a dangerous cross from Muirhead.

A minute later Town took the lead again when Matthews fed Akeroyd and the young midfielder slammed the ball past Green after side-stepping past a couple of defenders.

Town could not shake Armthorpe off and the visitors levelled again when a naïve challenge by Akeroyd inside the box allowed Joe Lumsden to go over and the same player scored from the spot.

Almost immediately, Town nearly retook the lead when Naidole’s goal-bound volley was back heeled straight into the arms of Green by Nick Jaggar.

The hard working Naidole then crossed deep to the back post for Wilson to strike the outside of the upright.

Town continued to press with Naidole combining with Matthews to send over a dangerous low cross that eluded everyone.

Akeroyd had to leave the field with an injury to be replaced by Anthony Brown with eight minutes remaining.

Armthorpe’s Walker hit the bar with a curling free kick and then set Muirhead up but he failed to control his pass with the goal in sight.

However, Muirhead made no mistake to snatch an injury time winner when he forced home Colbear’s back post cross to snatch the win for Armthorpe.