Sunk by late goal

TOWN created enough chances to win and in the end were unlucky to lose.

They made a decent enough start, Scott Driscoll and Danny Naidole releasing Danny Hull down the left flank in the first minute but his cross was saved by home keeper Jamie Green.

Three minutes later Hull’s header was flicked on by Shane Hamilton into the path of Danny Facey but Green smothered his shot.

Armthorpe responded on nine minutes when Joe Lumsden crossed for Adam Lee to put a great chance wide and centre back Richard Smith, who was dominant in the air throughout, headed a corner wide a couple of minutes later.

It took Town until the 27th minute to put together their first really fluent move.

Tom Brown played the ball wide to Driscoll, who found Facey on the edge of the box. He in turn found Hamilton who laid the ball back for Hull to hit a first time shot that was well blocked by a defender.

Before half-time Armthorpe threatened again, first an excellent cross from Sam Jones brought a brave save from Ben Imeson, and then Adam Lee crashed a shot against the underside of the bar after Jones had set him up.

On the stroke of half-time Hamilton outpaced the home defence and poked the ball past the keeper but it rolled the wrong side of the post.

Hamilton’s pace brought him another chance after only six minutes of the second half when Naidole’s pass put him through on goal but his left foot shot missed the target.

A minute later, Town had a huge let off when Craig Morley’s cross gave Adam Lee a glorious chance but he headed over the bar.

Despite this let off, Town were the better side in the second half; Steve Hollingworth headed a Naidole corner over the bar and James Sutcliffe’s dangerous cross did not find a colleague.

Town replaced the injured Gregg Porter with Ryan Brook on 58 minutes and his energy helped Town keep the pressure on the home side.

A through ball from Hull again saw Hamilton outpace the home defence but Green raced out of his box to clear.

Midway through the half Town created three half chances in as many minutes.

Hollingworth headed Naidole’s corner wide, another Naidole cross saw Facey shoot over from an acute angle and Facey’s strong run forced a corner which he took himself and Hamilton headed wide.

Town continued to press, and on 77 minutes Naidole showed excellent control and crossed for Facey and Hull to combine and set Hollingworth up to shoot only to be denied by a great save from Green.

Facey brought a near post save from Green and from the resulting corner on 80 minutes, Nick Jagger’s header was cleared off the line with the Town players appealing the ball had crossed the line.

Curtis McMahon replaced Facey in a like for like swap.

After being so near to taking the lead minutes earlier, Town fell behind on 83 minutes from a well struck shot from the edge of the box by James Walker.

Town threw men forward but this game always looked like one goal could win it for either side, and Armthorpe defended resolutely to make sure of it.