Shunted out of it

A GOOD end of season crowd at the Dual Seal Stadium saw 11 goals scored, unfortunately only four of them by Town

After trailing by four goals at half-time, which could have been more but for Town keeper Paul Hagreen, Town made a game of it in the second half with Lee Burgess and Nathan Cartman both scoring twice.

Lincoln tore into Town from the first minute and looked like they could score at will.

Their first goal came on four minutes when Tom Garrick finished well.

Nine minutes later, Lincoln scored again with a brilliant drive from Danny Brooks.

Town could not get a foothold despite hard work from midfielders Damien Hopkins and Danny Hull.

On 19 minutes, Lincoln made it 3-0 when Joe Butler scored with a good finish.

They continued to cut through the Town defence at will and on 25 minutes Nathan Adams’s shot crashed against the Town crossbar and two minutes later Hagreen saved well from Ben Good.

Simon Wood made an important interception to prevent a further goal and centre back Ben Charlesworth made a crucial block from Good to deny a certain goal.

From the corner Hagreen saved again and then made an even better stop denying Garrick in a one-on-one on the half hour mark.

A minute later, Garrick ran through the Town defence to square the ball for a simple tap-in for Butler for 4-0.

Town had their first effort on goal after 43 minutes when a tame effort from Burgess was easily saved by Mario Ziccaldi in the Lincoln goal and a totally embarrassing first half ended with Town lucky to be only four goals down.

Town came out for the second half with a lot more determination and pulled a goal back with their first attack when a mix-up in the visitors defence allowed Cartman to set Burgess up to score.

Town replaced Marshall Riley with Wayne Crossley on 55 minutes and he caused Lincoln plenty of problems on the right.

Town had a let-off on 59 minutes when Garrick was through but missed the target.

Crossley had a good penalty shout for hand ball turned down, then Town lost Hull to injury on 65 minutes and he was replaced by Alex O’Keefe.

Simon Wood nearly pulled a goal back for Town with a chip from the edge of the box that was turned on to the crossbar by Ziccaldi.

Again Hagreen came to Town’s rescue, thwarting Butler in another one-on-one.

Cartman then made it 4-2 on 79 minutes when his curling free kick found the back of the net, but thoughts of a Town comeback were quashed with two goals in two minutes from the visitors.

First Adams found the corner of the net on 80 minutes and then the same player scored again a minute later to make it 6-2.

Burgess pulled a goal back for Town on 83 minutes after good work from Crossley to make it 6-3.

Cartman made it 6-4 on 85 minutes when he scored from the spot after O’Keefe had been felled in the area, but Lincoln scored again straight from the kick-off with a stunning strike from sustitute Luke Forbes to make it 7-4.

Despite conceding seven goals, young keeper Hagreen had probably been Town’s best player and he excelled again with an injury time penalty save from Adams.

After a brilliant start to the season when Town reached the dizzy heights of fourth in the table, it has been a very disappointing second half to the season with the locals eventually dropping to a finishing position of 16th in their first season in the NCEL Premiere Division.

Everyone at the club is determined to work as hard as ever to improve on this position next season.