Seven up as Old Boys fizz

editorial image

WHILE dominating possession, Old Boys went behind when a shot from 35 yards flew over Lee Williams in the home team goal.

The visitors had hoped for an upset againt their higher league opponents, but the home men were stunned into a response.

They stepped up the tempo and Calvin Lee and Peter Kuleczko on the flanks were causing Howden Clough’s back four problems.

It was a combination of these two that got Old Boys back into the tie.

A run down the right from Kuleczko and a deflection fromLee gave the Clough keeper no chance.

The hosts piled on the pressure and took complete control.

Sporadic attacks from Clough were mopped up by the centre pairing of Andy Hall and Reece Bray.

With a break on the left Lee evaded the Clough defenders to cross for James Coates who turned and put the ball into the net.

It became one way traffic and the third followed quickly.

Coates becoming more influential passed through to Matty Roy who beat two defenders before curling the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.

From a corner Old Boys got their fourth. The ball was partially cleared by the defence, but fell to Lee who slotted in a difficult bouncing ball.

Old Boys came out in the second half with the same frame of mind as the first.

Lee grabbed his hat trick, with possibly his best goal, from a well placed bullet header after a pinpoint cross by Kuleczko.

Howden Clough did not give up and started to push forward and scored when slack defending allowed a forward to scuff the ball under Williams.

However it just spurred the home team to redouble their efforts.

The sixth goal was another compliment to the skills of Roy cutting in from the right and hitting a powerful shot past the despairing keeper.

Finally captain Fletcher scored the seventh, a cross from the right by substitute Rob Kenny met by Fletcher, easily putting it past the keeper.

It could have been more as Howden Clough tired but both Kenny and Fletcher missed chances.