Seaside trip has no fun for Town

Actions from the game Brighouse Town v Winterton, FA Vase, at St Giles Road'Pictured for Brighouse is James Sutcliffe
Actions from the game Brighouse Town v Winterton, FA Vase, at St Giles Road'Pictured for Brighouse is James Sutcliffe

TOWN came back from the east coast on Tuesday empty handed but felt they deserved a share of the points after hitting the woodwork twice and conceding goals to a double-deflection and a very dubious penalty.

They made an excellent start, within two minutes Tom Matthews bringing a good save out of Kevin Martin and then a James Sutcliffe shot crashing against the underside of the bar and bouncing to safety.

Town continued to have the better of the game with Greg Porter stamping his authority on the midfield and Anthony Haigh’s passing prompting Town’s attacks.

Boro’s first attempt on goal came when Curtis Bernard’s low shot went a yard wide of Ben Imeson’s post and Ryan Blott soon after volleyed over from a corner.

Adam Wilson and Tom Brown both made important challenges inside the box to deny the home side and Nick Jagger was shackling the dangerous Blott.

Town fullback Sutcliffe had his fair share of defending to do but he was the main outlet out of the defence on the right hand side to start Town’s attacks.

On 35 minutes Matthews passed wide to Gibson who picked Shane Hamilton out in the box and the big frontman was unlucky with a snap shot that went just wide.

Haigh climbed well to meet a Tom Brown cross which was saved by Martin in a good spell of pressure.

Minutes before the break, Boro created a couple of dangerous moments.

Bernard was only denied a shot at goal by a brilliant Jagger tackle and then a Bill Law shot rolled just wide.

The early stages of the second half were fairly even. Matthews, Hamilton and Sutcliffe all put dangerous balls into the box for Town and Blott had a superb effort from 18 yards just wide of Imeson’s upright.

On 61 minutes Town hit the woodwork for the second time. Sam Akeroyd carried the ball forward and as the Boro defence backed off he curled a left foot shot against the post.

Two minutes later, Town went behind as Boro got the slice of luck that had eluded Town.

James Ghaighen, who brings no credit to his club with his diving antics, carried the ball towards the Town box unchallenged before hitting a shot that deflected off two Town defenders to leave Ben Imeson helpless.

Town’s attempt to get back into the game was dampened with a hold up in play when the referee switched roles with the linesman.

Town pressed for an equaliser when play resumed, Haigh’s flick from a free kick allowing Matthews a half-chance that just cleared the crossbar and Akeroyd had a 30-yard effort narrowly off target.

Boro were happy to play on the break, Law heading wide from one such instance on 79 minutes.

Jagger did well to get his head to Brown’s cross but Martin saved, and with eight minutes left came the killer second goal from a very dubious penalty.

Ghaighen tried to push the ball past Wilson, blocked the ball and it ricocheted back against Ghaighen who threw himself down in the box.

The newly promoted linesman gave a penalty which Blott put away.

The second goal ended Town’s chances of rescuing a point, but the team’s effort and commitment as usual was top rate and manager Paul Quinn was left to ponder on the width of the goal frame being the fine margin between success and failure.