Ryan proved to be Blott on Town’s landscape

TOWN’S hopes of completing a memorable double over Boro after winning the away fixture earlier in the season was thwarted by the clinical finishing of Ryan Blott.

But Town have regained their fighting spirit and made a game of it right to the end.

Boro started well and created two early chances.

Blott gave warning of what was to come when he controlled the ball on his chest before swivelling and having his shot blocked.

Nicky McNamara then brought a great low save from James Wagget and had a goal bound shot deflected narrowly wide after beingclosed down by Alex Hallam.

Waggett’s accurate clearance then found Wayne Crossley whose cross was deflected for a corner. From it Matt Sparkes’ overhead kick cleared the crossbar.

Waggett again sparked Town into action with an identical clearance on 21 minutes, finding Crossley but his eluded everyone.

Town had their best spell of the game. A crossfield pass from Hallam found Crossley who was narrowly wide.

Damien Hopkins won the ball and played it to Crossley who moved it to Dave Watson, whose cross-cum-shot landed on the top of the net.

Town made the pressure count on 28 minutes when Lee Burgess volleyed low into the bottom corner after Crossley had set him up.

The lead was short-lived as Boro equalised six minutes later. A disputed free-kick was played into the Town box and when it was only half cleared, Blott volleyed into the top corner.

On 39 minutes Boro took the lead. Boro keeper Woodhead cleared the ball upfield and Richard Medcalf had time to look up and play the ball into the path of Blott, who drew the keeper before finding the net.

A minute later Blott had clear sight of goal but Waggett saved his tame shot.

Wagget then produced a good save from Frank Belt’s low shot and Richard Dunning was only a yard wide with a volley.

Boro started the second half again on top, Town’s young fullback Sam Coop coming to the rescue with a goal-line clearance.

Town weathered the early pressure and struggled to create chances.

Luke Malcher replaced Chris Dennison early in the second half and soon after, Antony Brown replaced goal scorer Burgess.

The next chance again fell to Blott but he was too precise with a side-foot on 60 minutes that allowed Waggett to save.

Town had plenty of the ball but struggled to create chances.

Boro’s Medcalf went close with a spectacular overhead volley on 72 minutes.

A fit again Kingsley Wetherald replaced Crossley on 74 minutes and then Brown had probably Town’s only chance of the half when the ball broke to him from Hopkins mis-hit shot.

Although it was not an easy chance, Brown would have been disappointed not to have hit the target.

In the closing stages Wagget again excelled and earned himself the man of the match tag as he pulled off a brilliant fingertip save to deny Blott his hat trick.

Town, to their credit never stopped working and a few balls thrown into the box in the final minutes caused a couple of anxious moments in the Boro defence as Town tried to snatch an equaliser.

But there was no denying the visitors deserved their win.