Warriors are too strong for ‘Bury’s second-string

Richard Casanove of Whitehall Warriors in action against Queensbury
Richard Casanove of Whitehall Warriors in action against Queensbury

WHITEHALL Warriors took the wind out of Queensbury’s sails as they went on to enjoy a nhard-earned victory

Queensbury, very confident after last week’s opening victory against League winners Farnley, went straight on the attack while Whitehall, boosted by the return of five players including player-coach Richard Casanove, defended superbly with John Sagar and Alex Scargill prominent.

After weathering the Queensbury storm, Mark Bolger offloaded to John Handscomb in the tackle and Rick Tillotson stormed onto Handscomb’s short pass to go the full length of the pitch for the first try. Jamie Holroyd added the extras. Half backs Dominic Guiry, Handscomb and David Spivey were combining brilliantly and getting the ball moving wide and Tillotson was on hand to go on a weaving run and find James Spivey in support. Half tackled he managed to flick the ball out of the back door to Ashley Caine who went over in the corner. Jamie Holroyd converted the difficult goal kick to put Whitehall 12-0 up.

Queensbury’s powerful pack surged back at Whitehall and they deservedly crashed over for a try but normal service was resumed as big Nat Greenwood and second-rowers Josh Maclean and Joe Fee took their team to the ‘Bury line where a set piece move from David Spivey and Dom Guiry sent livewire Tillotson over for his second try. David Spivey converted.

Whitehall were looking well in control as Simon Howland and Luke Sagar charged down the slope, but dropped the ball and Queensbury’s loose forward outsprinted everyone for a full length try to bring the half time score to 18-10

As expected, Queensbury’s big pack men came strongly down the slope and, despite the efforts of Andrew Johnson, Ashley Ryan forced his way over for a ‘Bury try.

Silly penalties for high tackles and back chat to the ref piggybacked Whitehall up to the ‘Bury line and another set piece move saw Jamie Holroyd use his size to score a classic props try, which he converted himself.

Queensbury responded with another surge downfield and a high kick on the last tackle. The ball bounced over everyone and ‘Bury’s loose forward pounced for his second try. With the conversion it was anyone’s game with the score at 24-20 in favour of Whitehall.

The match was sealed with a touch of individual skill from Handscomb as he showed the dummy, sidestepped and outpaced everyone to the line. David Spivey added the two pointer to give Whitehall a 30-20 win.

Cock-a-hoop Whitehall travel to Farnley on Saturday, a team the Warriors have never lost to.

Queensbury A 20

Whitehall Warriors 30

Pennine ARL Division Four.

Brighouse Rangers 40

Bentley Good Companions 28

Pennne ARL Division One

BRIGHOUSE Rangers gor their new season off to a great start by defeating the Doncaster outfit.

With both teams under strength, Rangers cane flying out of the blocks, full-back Karl Frankland going over after a flying passing move accross the backs. Gary Proctor converted from the touchline.

It was all Rangers for the first 20 minutes with second-rower Andy Seagar going over for the second try, once more converted by Gary Proctor for 12-0.

Bentley started to find their feet and after some slack defending by Rangers their hooker went over for a converted try.

After a scrum on the halfway line, Stuart Proctor spotted Scott Bradley running a great line on the blind side and he side-stepped through tackles to score a 40 metre try converted by Gary Proctor for an 18-6 half time lead.

Again, Rangers hit the ground running with man of teh macth m Stuart Proctor sending in wingman Andy Collins with an inside pass to go over under the sticks.

Rangers were dominating at the time and after prop Matty Dawson made a 30 yard bust he was just held up over the line and in the next play wingman Ben Collins went over but it was dissallowed for a rather harsh forward pass.

Hats off to Bentley, who never stopped trying and running all day.

Rangers took their foot off the gas thinking it was all over but the visitors hit back with two quick tries to reduce the score to 24-18.

This seemed to get Rangers going again, with half-back Gary Proctor smartly side-stepping two tackles before sprinting 20 yards to go over under the sticks converted by himself.

After receiving the ball from the kick off, Jack Parkinson and Andy Houlihan made great yards and after smart thinking by Stuart Proctor he passed to centre Paul Fairhurst who broke two tackles to go over in the corner for 34-18.

Rangers started to throw some wayward passes and Bentley’s impressive stand-off made two quick breaks to put them within one score at 34-28.

It was left to Stuart Proctor to jink through and score under the posts and his brother Gary converted to settle the nerves and put the result beyond doubt with two minutess left.

After the game coach Craig Young said: “I am really happy to get the first win in under the belt, but we still have plenty to do on the training ground.

“Hats off to all the players today, every one off them played well in the searing heat and showed what is to come.

“With at least six first teamers to come back in the next few weeks, it bodes well for the seconds, as the lads who stepped up to play- James Ioannou, Baz Stead, Paul Fairhurst and Jack Parkinson - showed the first teamers that they can’t get away with playing badly as people will step in and do a job.”