Shorthanded Warriors tumble out of Trophy

editorial image

PLAYERS not turning up once again left Whitehall with an under strength side.

Against a Division Six team that are struggling in the league, it was obvious they thought it would be a stroll in the park.

The Villagers had other ideas and began this match with fire and determination, writes David Beaumont.

Within minutes, Nick Herd forced his way over the Whitehall line from acting half to give his team a dream start.

Hard running prop, Gary Ellison, joined in the action and crashed over to extend the lead. With both tries converted it was 12-0 after only ten minutes played.

Whitehall rallied briefly with Nat Greenwood and Dan Kelly driving the ball hard to Worth’s line.

Elusive half back, John Handscomb, bewildered the defenders as he scythed through them and registered a Whitehall try.

Jamie Holroyd converted and it looked like the Warriors had woken up.

The Villagers responded and weren’t about to let Whitehall back into this match. Hooker Herd repeated his earlier feat and went over from acting half. Sure footed Liam Kelly booted his third goal to make the score 18-6.

Good runs from Ashley Caine and Luke Sagar put the Warriors on the attack and Handscomb booted the ball on the last tackle. A determined chase by the youngster rewarded him with a try.

Worth, firing on all cylinders, couldn’t be held as they threw the ball out wide and Darren Gall crossed the line. Then Harry Burns booted long and won the race to ground the ball. Two more excellent conversions by Liam Kelly took his team in at half-time leading 30-10.

Coach Richard Casanove went ballistic with his players in the team talk and the second half belonged to Whitehall.

Joe Fee went on one of his bulldozing runs and Jamie Holroyd fired out a long pass for Ashley Caine to cross in the corner.

New signing Damion Wood joined forces with Andrew Johnson with some bone crunching tackles. Casanove, leading from the front, couldn’t be held as he burrowed over the line.

Paul Stead sucked in the defence and sent Luke Sagar sprinting in for the next try. Jamie Holroyd converted two of the three tries leaving Whitehall 30-26 behind and four minutes left on the clock.

The Villagers survived the onslaught, leaving Whitehall to rue their complacency in the preparation of this match.

On Saturday the Warriors are back in league action, with their last match before Christmas, at home to Farnley. Whitehall will want to avenge the opposition who were victorious 32-30 in their last game away at Farnley.

Worth Village 30

Whitehall Warriors 26

Joe Blackford Memorial Trophy