Rangers teenagers in Yorkshire title success

Brighouse Rangers under 18s
Brighouse Rangers under 18s

Brighouse Rangers under 18s were crowned Yorkshire Combination League Three champions with an emphatic 36-14 win over Hull club Myton Warriors.

Brighouse, unbeaten at home in the league, produced a solid display to beat a good Myton side who stuck with them until the last 10 minutes.

Rangers fell behind after five minutes but responded well with a flowing move down the left wing allowing Callum Marsden to go over in the corner..

Rangers then piled on the pressure and it was Harry Parkinson who crashed over following a planned move, Ben Garwood converting both kicks from the touchline in very windy conditions.

Rangers’ 18s boast three players appearing regularly for the open age first team and one of them, Andy Esmond, picked up a loose ball to canter 80 metres to score under the posts.

Myton came out with renewed vigour in the second half and responded with a try, but further scores from Esmond, Ben Waud and the outstanding Garwood kept Rangers on target to win their first silverware of the season.

Just before the celebrations started, Ben Wickens finished off the scoring with a well worked try. Rangers now pick up the league leader’s shield with the play-off semi final due in two weeks.

New players interested in playing in the under 18s summer team that starts in May should go down to Russell Way on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6.00pm or call Lee Robson on 07837374658.

Wyke under 13s booked a trip to Rodley Rockets in the first round of the Continuation Cup following their 24-20 preliminary round success over Normanton Knights.

Wyke, who could only field 13 players due to holidays, began the quicker and on the second tackle Michael Bird burst through to score with a great individual effort. Ben Proctor added the extras.

Bird was in for a second later in the first half, proving too strong for the Knights back line as he made it 10-0.

His brace gave the hosts a wake up call and they scored a converted try which was in vain as Proctor got in on the act with a touchdown.

With half time looming, Normanton managed another score, which made it 16-10 to Wyke.

The second half saw Wyke score first again. Connor Fawcett, who had controlled the middle of the park, was rewarded with a try.

Normanton would not lie down and reduced the deficit to 20-16.

Wyke responded yet again and star man Fawcett got another great try to give them a 24-16 lead.

The last couple of minutes were nervy as Normanton kept coming forward and they did eventually manage another score but it turned out to be the final move of the game.