Rangers refuse to play second fiddle as high-flying Batley grounded

Rugby League - Brighouse Rangers v Batley Boys.'Neil Walton, left, celebrates with try-scorer Jordan Sild.
Rugby League - Brighouse Rangers v Batley Boys.'Neil Walton, left, celebrates with try-scorer Jordan Sild.

Rangers welcomed high flying Batley Boys to Russell Way and with the main field still being waterlogged the fixture took place on the second field.

Rangers began on top and scored within five minutes when prop forward Neil Walton crashed over.

However, Rangers let Batley back into the game but despite good field position they could not find a way over the line. Rangers then went downfield and stand-off Robinson crossed the whitewash.

Rangers’ final try of the half came from Jordan Sild who touched down in the corner. Gary Proctor converted for a 14-0 half time lead.

Rangers’ first score of the second half was the product of a wonderful move which saw the ball pass through several pairs of hands before Andy Sagars powered through and fed the supporting Proctor who touched down out wide.

Fortune shone on Rangers when a drop goal by Darren Robinson struck the upright and bounced back into of play where Sild pounced on the loose ball, Proctor converted.

Best for Rangers were Wayne Jowett, Lee Buckley and Scott Bradley.

Brighouse Rangers 24

Batley Boys 0

Pennine ARL Division One

Eastmoor Dragon 32

Brighouse Rangers A 16

Pennine ARL Division Five

Nigel Briggs was able to put out a strong side, however there were some notable absentees such as Ed Kerr, Nicky Barraclough and Dan Hines.

The Dragons were straight on the attack after a spilled ball and the second-rower powered through to touch down for a converted try.

Eastmoor were quick to add to their score following an interception, running half the length of the field for an unconverted try and a 10-0 lead.

Rangers’ hopes of a comeback were not to be as disorganised defence allowed Eastmoor’s scrum-half to make it 16-0.

Full-back Karl Frankland scored the Rangers only try of the half Eastmoor touched down again on the stroke of half time for 22-6.

Briggs’ half-time team talk seemed to pay off as centre Joe Campbell stepped through the defence and offloaded to Frankland for his second try.

Half-back Ben Wickens also began throwing the ball around while Terry Moon was superb in defence.

Eastmoor were not finished, though, and touched down again.

The second half was a much closer affair but Eastmoor’s lead was just too great, even though some clever play from a Jack Parkinson offload allowed Peter Lopag to touch down.

Eastmoor held out and claimed the final try.

Doncaster Toll Bar 24

Wyke 10

Pennine ARL Division Two

Wyke were missing a few key players for their trip to South Yorkshire.

Wyke opened the scoring when Ian Watkinson delivered a delightful short pass to the supporting Aidy Doherty who barged over for the try.

Then it was the turn of Toll Bar and their No 6, who proved to be a real threat, punching holes into the Wyke defence and offloading in the tackle on several occasions. All of the home side’s tries in the first half were scored in this manner.

Ian Wormald gave the players an inspirational team talk and Wyke set out with a different mentality in the second half, in which they again took the ball up well.

They added to their score when Ashley Hutchinson picked the ball up from acting half and scooted into the gap and raced 20 yards to touchdown, Michael Wormald converting.

Unfortunately Wyke could not create any more scoring chances and with the game flowing away from them, they allowed the home side in for a further converted score.

Wyke travel to Lindley Swifts on Saturday, again looking to put their season and talk of promotion back on track.

Wyke’s second team were ready for a bruising encounter with Halifax Irish ‘A’ in Pennine League Division Seven but were denied a game when the match official wouldn’t allow it to go ahead due to standing water on Wyke Park.