Rangers claim hard fought two points

Actions from the game, Brighouse Rangers v Morley Borough at Brighouse Sports Club. Pictured is Stuart Proctor
Actions from the game, Brighouse Rangers v Morley Borough at Brighouse Sports Club. Pictured is Stuart Proctor

RANGERS edged out Morley in a tight game to earn a hard fought two points.

Rangers faced the Leeds side with a few regulars missing due to injuries and illnesses, forcing the second team to call off their game. Jordan Sild, Joe Taphouse, Joe Campbell and Richard Flynn stepped up to help out.

Rangers set off at a flying pace and brought their stuff straight from the training ground with captain Scott Bradley going over after smart work from Man of the Match Stuart Proctor slipping an inside ball for Bradley to run a great line smashing through three defenders before smartly side stepping the Morley full-back to go over for an unconverted try.

Morley didn’t know what hit them as Rangers collected the ball from the kick off and ran exactly the same play, with centre Gareth Squires running onto a great pass from Ross Young and going over under the posts for an easy conversion by Stuart Proctor to give Rangers a 10-0 lead.

Déjà vu? Rangers were totally dominating the game just the same as last week against Birkenshaw, only again to relax and let Morley in for an easy try to make the score 10-4.

Again Rangers took their heads off the job in hand and after a kick over the Morley scrum-half collected the ball first to go over to make the half time score 10-10.

Rangers again battered the Morley line but just couldn’t get over the line with the ball being dropped by both sides on a regular basis.

Why we change things from what we was doing right in the first ten minutes? I can’t get my head around it,” said coach Craig Young.

With both defences keep each other at bay, Morley were awarded a penalty with 15 minutes to go just inside Rangers half and they opted to go for the two points to take a two point lead and in what turned out to be a dubious decision on whether the ball actually went over!

In the next set tempers frayed and Stuart Proctor was sin binned after getting punched by Morleys number 10 who received a straight red card.

Rangers seemed to up their tempo and continually hit Morley at pace but Morley stood up to everything Rangers could throw at them.

Rangers was awarded a penalty about 20 metres out but such was the desire to win they opted to run the ball in, instead of taking the two and going for a draw.

The right descision was made as on the third tackle captain Scott Bradley came in on the blind side before his strong run pierced the Morley line and he off loaded to Ross Young who then drew in the Morley full-back before passing back inside to Bradley to go over under the sticks. Flynn converted for Rangers to take a deserved lead, 16-12.

Morley came back at Rangers, but they held firm to take the points and get back to winning ways.

“On reflection Morley came with a game plan and we ground out a win and two points is two points, but I wouldn’t say we had anything to cheer about,” commented coach Craig Young.

“We have a fantastic set of players, and if we stick to what we do on the training ground we can beat anyone on our day,” he added.

Brighouse Rangers 16

Morley 12

Pennine ARL Division One