Pitman is left ‘gutted’ as drop goal sinks Wyke

SCOTT WATSON was man of the match for Wyke but they were consigned to defeat in Division Two by a drop goal with the last kick of the game.

It proved a tough physical battle between two big sides, CK scoring first after a nice passing movement into the corner.

Wyke hit back instantly with full-back Paul Jennings scoring on his debut.

Wyke scored in the next set following some nice footwork by Tim Stones, who raced in from 60m.

Wyke were almost in again when Jennings linked nicely with Gav Mezals, who was held up inches short of the line.

The play went from end-to-end with both teams looking to get the upper hand.

Scores from CK were answered by Wyke through Ryan Kershaw and Ian Wormald.

Wyke, however, lacked composure late on and failed to play out their last set and pop over a one-pointer which would have secured victory.

Instead, the worst thing happened. Wyke’s indiscipline helped CK move up the pitch and they dropped a goal on the whistle.

Wyke coach Warren Pitman said there was only one word to sum it up: “Gutted!”

The club’s second team defeated Cowling Harlequins 54-12 in a Division Four West game. John Rayner scored a hat-trick of tries on his long-awaited return from injury, man-of-the-match and assistant coach Dean Smith crossed for a brace and the rest came from Mark Gregory, Aaron Priestley, Phil Oliver, Paul Bapty and Stevie Richardson.

Kinsley Raiders 6

Brighouse Rangers 28

Unbeaten Brighouse Rangers reached the second round of the Andrew Bennett Memorial Pennine Cup.

Following three successive league wins, Rangers arrived in Wakefield in confident mood but they soon fell behind playing down the slope following a mistake from the kick-off.

Centre Jordan Sild struck back following a neat chip through and hooker Andy Hargreaves burrowed his way over from close range.

Sild went in at the corner before Kinsley peppered the defensive line for a spell.

Further tries from prop Harry Masterman and a hat-trick try from Sild gave Rangers a 22-point advantage going into half-time.

Kinsley fancied their chances down the incline in the second half.

Rangers’ defence, however, ruled supreme, and great work from the whole team, and especially from captain Lee Robson, Andy Esmond and Lewis Morris, kept the Raiders out.

Rangers entertain West Bowling in the league at Russell Way on Saturday (2.30pm).