Old Brodleians 27 Malton & Norton 35: Brods frustrated after being forced to settle for second-best

IN YOUR FACE: Dominic Georgiou of Old Brodleians fends off a Malton challenger during Saturday's clash.Picture: John Ketteringham.
IN YOUR FACE: Dominic Georgiou of Old Brodleians fends off a Malton challenger during Saturday's clash.Picture: John Ketteringham.

IN EXCELLENT conditions, the teams placed third and fourth in the Yorkshire One table provided a display of highly-competitive rugby.

Brods kicked off down the slope and, after some early pressure, the visitors opened the scoring in the seventh minute, No 8 Heggie crashing over from a successful “catch and drive” lineout.

Brods responded well and, within two minutes, Malton were penalised in front of their posts – Wood converting to make it 5-3.

The two teams were well-matched,Malton driving through their forwards and Brodleians clearing their lines with well-placed kicks downfield. Malton struck again after 25 minutes with a well-worked move from their backs. A searing break by Djantjies was supported by Cooke, who handed on to Daley, who passed back to Cooke, who crossed in the corner.

Substitutes Manu and Thompson entered the field of play and Brods started to assert themselves offensively. A well-worked move saw the bell moved left and Dominic Georgiou showed pace and strength to beat three defenders to touch down wide out. With the conversion missed and Malton full-back Sodladla kicking a penalty the half time score was 15-8.

From the restart, a Malton fumble saw Brodleians take good field position through strong running by Marshall. His second effort created the scoring opportunity for Manu Tusiga and he finished strongly. Wood added the extras to bring the scores level at 15-15.

The momentum was now with Brods and they launched a series of attacks on the Malton line through their forwards, and eventually the pressure told with Thornton being yellow-carded.

Brods took three points from a penalty, but the yellow card appeared to galvanise the visitors and the Malton forwards won a series of scrums.

A determined and sustained forward attack from the visitors resulted in Featherstone crossing from two metres out to score near the posts, Sodladla adding the extras.

Sodladla added a further three points when the home team were penalised for a high tackle and the score edge to 
25-18. The home pack was visibly tiring and again the Malton forwards took advantage.

On 70 minutes, further pressure from the visitors gave Featherstone his second try of the match, and Sodladla again converted, putting the visitors 32-15 ahead.

Brods’ heads would not drop and, following good handling by their backs in defence, they worked the ball to substitute Tusiga, who raced 65 metres up the slope to score under the posts, Wood converted and Brodleians were back in the match at 32-22.

The home team were penalised for off-side and from 40 metres Sodladla stretched the lead to 35-22.

But the hosts refused to surrender and launched a series of attacks.

The ball was moved right, and Alex Dawson used his power to touch down in the corner.The try gave Brods a deserved bonus point and a final score of 35-27.

There wasn’t much to separate the two teams and, to be fair, the better side on the day took the spoils. Brods slipped to fifth, while Malton moved up to second.