Frustrated Brods beaten by trio of Ribb penalties in the final quarter

Big forward Luke Scrimshaw makes ground for Old Brodleians away to North Ribblesdale.
Big forward Luke Scrimshaw makes ground for Old Brodleians away to North Ribblesdale.

Old Brodleians were frustrated not to take at least a losing bonus point from their first Yorkshire One contest of 2016 – a 24-15 defeat at North Ribblesdale.

hey started well at Settle and quickly registered the opening score.

Early domination of the scrum and good back play engineered an opening for centre Nathan Scott to power over in the corner.

A difficult conversion was missed but the visitors continued to dominate all phases 
of the game for the first quarter.

The home defence was equal to the task and after 25 minutes ‘Ribb’ pulled back three points via the boot of their fly half following a scrum infringement.

Brods continued to take the game to their hosts and Anton Gaughan went close in the right corner on 30 minutes.

A penalty was awarded, when an advantage might have resulted in a second Brods try. Ollie Akroyd took the three points on offer and Brods had to settle for an 8-3 advantage at half time.

Brods were penalised out of the game at the start of the second half and Ribb showed more bite in attack.

Their fly-half broke through on 53 minutes to score between the posts and convert for the home side to take a 10-8 lead.

Ribblesdale extended their 
advantage five minutes later when their powerful-running 
captain and left winger Simon Bolland shrugged off several tacklers to score out wide.

Brods fought back and from a penalty to the corner the pack drove hard for the line and scored at their second attempt, lock Harly Morris arising with the ball in hand to claim the try.

That made it 15-15 entering the final quarter but frustrated Brods captain Liam Scott received a yellow card and the home side recovered the lead and pulled clear with three penalty goals.

Old Brodleians frantically tried to score a try in the 
closing minutes and a losing bonus point went begging when a kickable penalty was missed with seconds left.


Old Brodleians’ development side faced a strong Wharfedale XV last Saturday at Woodhead, and despite fighting bravely, ultimately succumbed 29-19.

Promising young fly-half Zac Thompson opened the scoring after just five minutes with a burst down the hill of Beaver Park and raced 50 metres for the opening try in a magnificent solo effort.

Returning from injury, Kiwi Sam Deacon scored the second in similar fashion and with two conversions it was 14-0.

The Woodhead boys were then hit by injuries as the game progressed and the visitors clawed their way back into it contention to lead at the break 19-14.

Two early tries from Wharfedale in the second half looked to have sealed the game for them, however the young home side showed great character and dug deep to score through Manu with 15 minutes remaining.

Two tired teams battled it out for the remainder of the game with no further addition to the final scoreline of 29-19 to the visitors.

Brodleians’ ‘Twos’ will be playing the Yarnbury second XV at their ground on (2.15pm), while the two senior teams also meet.

The Beavers are currently top of the West District Merit table following their excellent victory over the Halifax Dukes at the weekend, however they will have a break from league rugby this Saturday with a trip to Bramley Phoenix for a friendly.

Beavers travelled to Ovenden Park last Saturday to play the Halifax club’s second string and enjoyed one of their best performances of the season, winning 19-12.

Good passing in midfield created a chance for Ben Smith to open the scoring. Solid defence in the backs and through the forwards produced a try for Michael Briggs who converted from the touchline.

Sustained pressure from a dominant pack built the platform for Smith to bruise his way over from No 8, again converted by Briggs.

Despite 12 points from Halifax in the second the Beavers had done enough.

Brods’ Under 19s are hopeful that their home fixture with Huddersfield this Sunday (1pm) will survive the weather as indeed will the 17s who will travel to Sheffield .