Reserves give leaders a fright

Share this article

AFTER last week’s good performance if not result, Town stuck to their 4-3-3 formation.

Andrew Hawker came in for the unavailable Danny Toronczak and new signing James Flower, who slotted into midfield, replaced the impressive Keiran Corley, who was on first team duty.

Town started brightly and Glyn Haley won the ball on the halfway line and released the Jake Driver on the left.

He cut in but could not find Hawker in the box with his cross.

The first real chance of the game fell to Bay, when Paul Pike found Kitson Gayle, who used his bulk to roll central defender Damien Gommersall, but young debutant goalkeeper Paul Haygreen dived well to his right and denied the big striker.

He then made another good save from Pike’s drive from 20 yards.

Town’s back four of Joe Swallow, Gommersall, Tom Wright and Chris Dennison were matching their counter parts.

Town had their best spell of the game on the half hour, when Flower robbed Buckley on the halfway line and had a shot from 25 yards that was well saved.

Minutes later Dennison chipped the ball over the on rushing Bay defence, Tom Wood made a great run from deep and found himself one-on- one with the keeper, but Bay’s Lincoln Adams recovered to clear the loose ball.

At the interval it was scoreless with Town more than matching the league leaders.

After the break, the game settled quickly with neither side taking command, but after 10 minutes Town lost the impressive Hawker to a slight hamstring pull.

He was replaced by Ash Addy. This seemed to change the game and Bay gained the ascendency and on 62 minutes they got the first goal.

Pike played a one-two with Gayle, he then slipped Mugadze through, with Town screaming for offside, but the striker finished well.

Pike almost got through again but was denied by another good save from Haygreen.

On 70 minutes Bay doubled their lead, when Tom Brown skipped past fullback Dave Phelps and crossed for Mugadze who slotted the ball home from 12 yards.

Normally a second goal at that time would knock the stuffing out of a young side, but it seemed to give Town a second wind, and a rallying cry from Chris Wdowcyzk, lifted his players and Town started to get a foothold again.

On 80 minutes Brighouse got a goal back, Driver cut in from the left and his right foot curler seemed destined for the net, but a great save denied the winger.

The shot was too hot to handle, and Swallow rifled the loose ball home.

Town now got their teeth into the game, and could have equalised minutes later, but Haley could not put the finishing touch to Swallow’s cross.

At the final whistle Bay probably just edged the game, but Town really put up a good fight and gave the league leaders a real run for their money.