Old Boys dig deep to earn tough point

Brighouse Old Boys 2

AFC Field 2

West Yorkshire Premier Division

AFTER a number of cup fixtures it was back to the day job for Brighouse Old Boys, a league match against close rivals Field.

Old Boys adopted a 4-3-3 formation with captain James Fletcher pushed up front.

Leading scorer Rob Kenny replaced the absent Lee Burgess and Jimmy Cummings came back in central midfield.

Old Boys’ intricate passing game caused Field problems. Damian Place and Tom Gorringe dominated possession in midfield, setting up Calvin Lee, Kenny and Fletcher up front.

Field, however, played good football themselves and the front two caused Andy Burton, Luke Johnson, Andy Hall and Ian Brock problems with their movement and counter attacking.

The first goal came when a cross from the left hand side resulted in a lack of marking in the Brighouse defence and an excellent volleyed finish.

The equaliser came with a second attempt at a penalty from Fletcher.

The first came when Fletcher was brought down by the keeper who was sent off.

However, Fletcher placed his spot kick past the right hand post. Five minutes later though, Lee was brought down by a defender, and this time Fletcher didn’t miss, powerfully placing the ball into the top right hand corner.

This seemed to spur the visitors and for the rest of the first half they dominated proceedings.

However, even with all this pressure, twin centrebacks Hall and Brock were outstanding, winning the ball in the air and outpacing the sprightly Field attack and keeping chances to a minimum.

The second half started with Old Boys in the ascendancy as the 10 men of Field struggled to keep up with the lateral movement of the Brighouse side.

Changes were made with Gorringe, who was on a yellow card, replaced by Chris Wdowczyk in midfield while Mike Pearson came on for Lee to add pace and guile to the attack.

Field were wasting time whenever they could, but ironically they scored the next goal with a quick breakaway and a cross from the left which saw keeper Hibbert beaten near his left hand post.

Old Boys needed to step up to the mark and Burton on the right and Johnson on the left threw caution to the wind, raiding down their respective flanks.

It was Johnson who supplied the pass which sent Kenny in and with only the keeper to beat the leading scorer made no mistake, giving his side a deserved share of the spoils.

BRIGHOUSE Old Boys Reserves climbed to seventh in the Alliance Division One table following a 4-1 win at Robin Hood Athletic.

It was a lively game with both sides moving the ball well before the visitors made the breakthrough on nine minutes.

Adam Williams released Alex Tait whose pass found Steve Ashford and he slotted home.

They doubled their lead three minutes later after a flowing move ended with Suleman Rafiq’s powerful drive being parried by the keeper and Tait was on hand to fire home.

Adam Williams missed from the penalty spot after Ashford had been brought down and this seemed to boost the home side who pulled a goal back.

The home side came out all guns blazing in the second half but they came up against a determined Old Boys team who restored their two goal advantage when Adam Williams’ free kick found Tait and his turn and shot was blocked but Ashford was the first to react for his second.

The result was sealed on the hour after a flowing five man move; Tait’s pass finding Pete Kuleczko who drove the ball powerfully home.