Neighbours fall to confident side

OLD Brods U15s were full of confidence after last week’s win against Morley and travelled the short distance to Cleckheaton and came away victorious.

Cleckheaton began the game on the front foot and had Brods under pressure for the first 10 minutes of the game.

It was no surprise when they scored the first try after the forwards had been stopped short of the try line.

The ball was quickly shifted out to the left wing to score in the corner.

With Brods hit straight back, from the kick-off. The Brods forwards won the ball, but Jack Sharpe and Jonny Cole were stopped short of the try line.

With quick ball from the resulting ruck Jack Moger fed Reece Ward on the crash ball to score by the post, Michael Dunn converting to make it 7-5.

Cleckheaton scored on their next attack. Brods conceded a penalty for dissent and from the tap penalty the ball was moved out to the right wing who scored in the corner.

Brods then replied when Lewis dived over by the posts after a series of pick-up and drives from the Brods forwards sucked in the Cleckheaton defence to create the space. Dunn converted for 12-10 at half time.

Playing down the slope in the second half Brods went on to make the advantage count.

They kept Cleckheaton trapped in their own half for long periods, the pressure eventually telling when the Cleckheaton full back miss-kicked the ball straight to Will Bates who side stepped his opposite number and ran in to score in the corner.

With Cleckheaton still under pressure it was no surprise that Brods scored again.

Brandon Douglas picked up the ball from the ruck just outside the Cleckheaton 22 and charged past several defenders to score by the post. Lewis converted to make it 24-10.

Cleckheaton were never allowed to get out of their own half but resolute defending kept Brods at bay.

With five minutes left the visitors completed the scoring.

They took a tap penalty and Faham charged into the Cleckheaton defence and sucked in their forwards and with quick ball Lewis then spun it to Ward who took several defenders over the line to score his second try. Lewis converted to end the game with a 31-10 victory.