Leaders are humbled

Actions from the game Brighouse Town v Retford United football at St Giles Road'Pictured for Brighouse is Tom Matthews
Actions from the game Brighouse Town v Retford United football at St Giles Road'Pictured for Brighouse is Tom Matthews

IT was an impressive performance from Town as they secured another three points and Tom Matthews registered a second half hat trick.

The league leaders were never really in the game on a day where the exposed ground felt the full force of the elements.

Player manager Paul Quinn said: “I thought we adapted well to the conditions and put in a good all round performance.

“The lads didn’t panic at half-time when we could have been a couple of goals up.

“We need to keep the consistency now for going to Nostall next Saturday.

“We expected a tough game, but it just goes to show that in this league you can beat anyone,” he said.

Three minutes in James Sutcliffe ran down the wing and passed to Anthony Haigh but the ball was cleared.

Two minutes later Danny Naidole fired a shot in but keeper Jason Fisher saved.

On 14 minutes Matthews chipped the ball over the crossbar.

Retford had still not had a chance to break and make any attempts on the Town goal.

The home-side had their first corner after 20 minutes, taken by Luke Gibson, but Cory Nightingale’s header went wide.

In the 23rd minute Town a Sutcliffe free kick was deflected clear but Naidole put the ball back only for Matthews’ attempt to go over the crossbar.

Ten minutes later Town took a deserved lead when Danny Hull from 20 yards out swung the ball into the net.

In the 37th minute Gibson went one-on-one with Rob Austin.

He curved the ball round to go on target for goal but Fisher just got his fingertips to the ball to push it away to safety.

With half-time looming, Retford substituted Adam Scott for Chris Hall.

Retford made a better start to the second half but it was not long before Town began to assert their control again.

In the 50th minute, Lee Melon was booked for a bad tackle after referee Gareth Mellor had pulled him up a couple of times in the first half.

Nine minutes later Matthews made an attempt on goal but did not give it enough power and it was kicked back out.

But it gave him a second chance and this time he hammered it in for a 2-0 lead.

Retford were still not getting a look in, and continued to be put under pressure from Town who made several attempts on goal.

In the 70th minute Naidole shot on goal but it went wide.

At this point a huge hailstorm storm blew through which added to the already heavy going, greasy pitch and did not help with visibility.

But then Matthews bagged his second of the game when his first attempt was pushed out by Fisher, but the ball went straight back to him, as with his first and he fired it in to make it 3-0.

Two minutes later Sutcliffe made an attempt on goal from 35 yards out that was only just cleared from rattling into the net.

Town persevered and in the 75th minute Matthews made it 4-0 to complete his hat trick.

With 10 minutes to go he was replaced by Shane Hamilton.

Retford tried for a consolation goal with a minute to go but Hull deflected the ball wide and Town had another impressive win.