It’s off the mark for the Old Boys

AFTER only one point from their first two games, the Old Boys kick-started their season with a fine win at the John Charles (formerly South Leeds) Stadium.

The Richmond International Academic and Soccer Academy entered the West Yorkshire League last season and gained promotion to Division One at the first attempt.

The academy has been set up mainly for American students who have aspirations to progress into the professional game, so the Old Boys expected a tough game.

The visitors were not overawed by the opposition’s growing reputation and with the competitive midfield play of Jimmy Cummings and Reece Bray, captain for the day in the absence of James Fletcher, backed up with the skills of Adam Williams, they soon took a grip on the game.

They started with shots blazing high from Cummings and Mike Pearson up front .

Sporadic attacks from RIASA. were snuffed out by the defence.

Pearson’s skilful containment of the ball allowed wingers Matty Roy and Rob Kenny to tease the home team’s back four.

Roy came close when his powerful shot, was tipped over the bar by the home keeper.

The first goal came just before half-time when a gap in the RIASA. defence allowed Roy to feed Kenny, who wriggled free from his marker to put the ball away.

The second half started in a similar vein with Old Boys dominating possession, man of the match Bray winning virtually everything in the holding role.

With RIASA. pushing forward to get the equaliser, gaps started to open up and Kenny was put through, one-on-one with the keeper.

The effort went wide, however a few minutes later he got his and Brighouse’s second after a pinpoint cross from Cummings found him unmarked at the far post and he finished from an acute angle.

From then Brighouse retained control of the match, Andrew Burton replacing Williams in midfield and Paul Taylor replacing Pearson up front.

l THE previous Wednesday Old Boys were beaten at home in a feisty encounter with local rivals Wyke Wanderers.

In a close, competitive game, a disputed penalty and poor marking in the Old Boys defence led to a 2-1 defeat for the home side.

Not helped by a sending off, Old Boys could not cope with the quick movement and energy levels from Wyke, with the extra man making all the difference.