It’s an eight-game winning sequence

Rob Kenny scoring
Rob Kenny scoring

IN a wind affected game Brighouse Old Boys continued their eight game winning streak.

With changes in defence, due to Reece Bray stepping up into midfield, Brighouse could have been vulnerable in that area but with Lee Williams back from injury, in the heart of the back four, they had the ideal player to counteract attacks from the spirited opposition.

The Brighouse management had asked their team for a quick positive start and they responded by opening the scoring with just five minutes on the clock.

A long hopeful through ball from the home team defence drifted towards the Horbury keeper, whether it was lack of confidence or a uneven playing surface, an attempted clearance dribbled straight to Peter Kuleczko who simply returned the ball past the keeper into the bottom left corner.

A muted celebration followed, everybody surprised at the way the goal had been scored.

An early success meant the inherent danger of possibly a complacent attitude.

However, marshalled by captain James Fletcher, Jimmy Cummings and the powerful Bray it was not going to happen.

And, with man of the match Andy Hall and fullbacks Joe Nelson and Luke Johnson shoring up the defence, Jason Hibbert was in for quiet first half in the Brighouse goal.

The second goal came 10 minutes before half-time, a slick one two in midfield involving Cummings and skilful left winger Calvin Lee followed by a precise through ball from Fletcher allowed goal poaching centre forward Rob Kenny in on goal.

Challenged by a defender Kenny expertly shielded the ball and with one strike of his right foot placed the ball, past the advancing keeper into the bottom right corner of the net.

Keep a tight shape, retain possession and catch Horbury on the break, knowing that they would have to push men forward, was the message at half-time.

The away side came on stronger but once again Hibbert’s goal was rarely threatened.

Brighouse countered Horbury’s tactics by ensuring that enough men were placed between the ball and their goal and with the fresh legs of Martin Newham coming on as replacement for the injured Kuleczko and Wayne Cummings for Lee on the left, Horbury were finding it difficult to break down the home side defence.

The away team’s best chance was a 25-yard effort which was tipped round the post by an athletic save from Hibbert.

The resulting corner was cleared by the now dominating central defensive pair.

Fifteen minutes from the end, new signing Jorge Pearson, came on up front for Kenny, asked to harass the away team defenders thereby stopping them playing and creating chances for their forwards.

This stifled the Horbury attacking prowess as they were unable to break through massed ranks of the home team players.

At the other end Horbury were being caught on the break but, for all their possession, Brighouse were unable to score a match sealing goal and the game ended with the first half goals being the deciding factor.

It is essential now for Old Boys to keep their winning sequence a necessity if they are going to gain promotion this season.