Hard work brings well earned victory

Brighouse Town U16 Winners at Clifton Rangers tournament
Brighouse Town U16 Winners at Clifton Rangers tournament

THIS was Town’s first meeting with the newly promoted Challenge FC.

Playing on a synthetic pitch which was always going to have an influence on the pace of the game, Brighouse started well, playing to their strengths with good link up play and controlled passing.

The first chance fell to Town, when on the fifth minute a well crossed ball from Suleman Rafiq almost found the head of Dale Spink bearing down on goal.

The first corner for Town, was delivered by midfielder Callum Murgatroyd and met by the in-form Matt Wensley whose header just cleared the bar.

Challenge were proving to be no push overs creating chances of their own.

This in turn was bringing the best out of the Brighouse back four, particularly Dan Meredith and Matt Wensley whose timely headers and tackles were called upon during periods of the game.

Town’s left back, Louie Morton and midfielder Luke Hill, were enjoying good possession and linked up well while fullback Dan Holmes remained solid in defence.

The first goal came on the 20th minute when a low cross from Spink fell to the feet of the on rushing Angus Hastings who made no mistake in smashing the ball into the net.

On the half hour mark, Jordan Byrnes saw a well struck shot just go wide of the opposing keeper’s right hand post.

Both teams were enjoying plenty of possession, while Joe Farnsworth was making his presence felt on the right hand side of the field.

Town keeper Luke Hirst made an excellent save, diving to his left to deny Challenge an equaliser, who also saw a shot bounce back from the post late in the first half.

Town’s inspirational captain Harry Sutcliffe, came off worst after a clash of heads and played no further part in the game.

Town finished the half with a well taken goal by Byrnes, giving the keeper no chance.

It came after a brilliant ball was slotted through by Jake Stewart who is settling in well and growing with confidence.

The second half saw Challenge claw back a two goal deficit.

However full credit to the Brighouse players who, at times having to put up with some dubious and over the top tackling, remained composed and professional throughout.

Heads never went down and a third goal scored by Rafiq was well deserved.

The game was won when a terrific shot, a brace for Rafiq, went through the goalkeeper’s hands into the net.

This was well earned victory for Brighouse whose hard work and determination was evident for all to see.