Great effort, but Town lose out

IT was not the result Brighouse Town might have wanted but their effort could not be faulted in their first game at the Dual Seal Stadium.

New manager Mick Couzens said: “We were very unlucky not to get anything today as we battled all the way through against a team that is rumoured likely to win the league this year.

“We never gave up and that’s the commitment I wanted from the players.

“There are 38 games in the league, its one game and if we play like that in every match then we will soon start seeing results.

“I am still without eight players, two are injured and six are on holiday still but I should have some back and I think Dave Woffenden should be available Tuesday.”

Five minutes in and Craig Thompson sent a superb cross into the box but Roy Fogarty jumped into the keeper rather than on to the ball and Staveley keeper Ayden Duffy was able to clear.

In the 12th minute Town, had another shot on goal through Fogarty from 25 yards which just went wide.

Five minutes later Staveley put pressure on Town but Martin Foster’s shot was stopped at the right hand post, forcing a corner.

The visitors continued to threaten the Town area and again keeper Ben Imeson cleared the danger.

In the 22nd minute, Andrew Fox shot on target but again Imeson was there. Town responded but Thompson’s attempt was just off target.

In the 37th minute there was another cross from Thompson but Fogarty could not finish.

Five minutes later Staveley’s persistence paid off when they went 1-0 up through Ryan Damms.

Town had to quickly defend their goal again straight after with yet another near miss from Damms,

Thompson had another attempt just before half time but it went over the bar.

Town started the second half with yet another attempt from Thompson- he went one on one with the keeper- but referee Matt Walsh blew for offside.

Jacob Lever made ground down the wing with just Jones and the keeper to beat but Jones brought him down and was booked.

Lever took the free kick but the wall deflected his shot.

Ryan Brook was shown the yellow card in the 46th minute for a foul, after being warned several times.

In the 60th minute Andy Hawker replaced Fogarty. Lever had another shot on goal a couple of minutes later, just missing the target.

In the 66th minute Steve Hollingworth was also booked for a foul.

Town were creating but could not finish.

In the 75th minute Danny Hull had a great shot on goal but Duffy managed to push it out.

Alex O’Keefe came on for Lever and with three minutes remaining Thompson was replaced by Dale Feather and Damms by Shaun Tuton.

It was a frustrating final few minutes for Town who just could not score.