Good show but Town go down

MOST neutrals would consider Town unlucky to come away from second- placed Parkgate empty handed.

Although the performance was good, the main disappointment was that all three goals conceded were preventable.

Town made a confident start to the game with Alex Hallam and Alex O’Keefe on top form down the left.

Lee Burgess shot wide early on for Town who were seeing plenty of possession. Then Jenkinson saved for Parkgate from a Luke Malcher header.

Parkgate’s Keir Hannity brought a good save from James Waggett on 13 minutes but Town responded, Malcher having a header blocked for a corner. Sam. Coop forced another corner when his shot was blocked.

On 20 minutes Parkgate took the lead. Town lost the ball on half-way and Nathan Swindells’ cross was turned in by Ashley Worsfold.

A minute later they conceded again when Grant Allott powered a free header from a corner into the net. From the restart, Wayne Crossley brought a save from Jenkinson.

Town continued to have the majority of the play. More pressure from Town saw Jenkinson flap at a ball into the box from a free kick, Malcher pounced but the keeper recovered to save.

Town pulled a goal back in first half stoppage time when O’Keefe crossed from a free kick by Hopkins and Matty Sparkes headed home.

Parkgate nearly extended their lead inside two minutes of the second half and Waggett was called upon to save.

On 55 minutes he keeper tipped a free-kick over the bar for a corner which was eventually cleared after a goalmouth scramble.

The second half was a scrappier affair with Town finding it harder to penetrate the Parkgate defence.

On 68 minutes Parkgate made the most of Town giving away possession, quickly breaking into the box where Worsfold set up Luke Fletcher to volley past Waggett.

Town introduced U19 Academy prospect Marshall Riley for Burgess and Chris Dennison for Crossley.

Sparkes nearly pulled a goal back for Town with a curling effort on 83 minutes and Nathan Cartman was only inches away.

Glen O’Gara replaced Sam Coop on 85 minutes and just before the final whistle, Cartman again came close with a header.