Wright outstanding as the Old Boys go nap against Bardsey

Bridghouse Old Boys (red) lost 1-3 at home to Bardsey in quarter final of the WY County Challange Cup.
Bridghouse Old Boys (red) lost 1-3 at home to Bardsey in quarter final of the WY County Challange Cup.

Brighouse Old Boys finally got their act together and – in their latest encounter at home to Bardsey – ran out comprehensive victors.

From the off, Old Boys were quicker to the ball, competing for the first and second ball. With Tom Wright outstanding in centre midfield and Chris Wdowczyk caressing the ball to the flanks, the omens were looking good.

Old Boys took the lead from a corner, Wright being in the correct place to poke the ball home past the despairing Bardsey keeper.

The second came soon after, this time the ebullient Richard Heins scoring from the spot after Peter Kuleczko was taken out just inside the area.

Bardsey could not get into the game, the defensive four of Johny Haigh, Ian Brock, Lee Williams and Luke Johnson, staunch defenders to a man, untroubled by the away team efforts backed up by the impressive figure of Jason Hibbert between the posts.

The third followed after 20 minutes. A through ball from midfield was latched onto by pacy debutant Liam Curtis, who sprinted away from the defender and placed the ball under the now broken away team keeper.

At 3-0 up and cruising, it should have been easy but, whether Old Boys were resting on their laurels or couldn’t keep up the tempo, they allowed Bardsey back into the game.

Bardsey’s fluent passing game came to the fore and Old Boys’ Jekyll and Hyde performance meant that the away team took control and scored just before the half-time whistle.

It was simple situation for the Old Boys.

Either they stepped up to the mark in the second half or they risked throwing away the game which, after 20 minutes, should have been over. Luckily for the home fans, they did the former and switched on, taking the game to Bardsey.

Changes were made. Kuleczko was replaced by Jake Broadbent and Jo Nalson replaced Lee Williams and Calvin Lee came on for the injured Tom Wright.

The next goal looked like being crucial and it was the home side who scored it.

After Wdowczyk’s free -kick had just flown past the corner flag, leading striker Heins scored his second, an early entry to goal of the season.

Heins received the ball wide on the left, cut inside, dribbling past two defenders, and from 20 yards out he powered the ball into the top right-hand corner of the net.

Bardsey were playing like beaten men and with Regan and Jake Broadbent gaining ground, taking on the defenders down the flanks, the fifth followed soon after.

A free-kick outside the box, again on the left, was placed with consummate ease and power past the Bardsey keeper by the pacy Curtis.

So, the game ended with victory for the Old Boys, from what was an impressive performance.

They still need to ensure that they don’t have lapses in concentration which could cost them dearly in future matches.