Wood's winner for Bowling Green

Bowling Green beat Halifax Hammers 3-2 in a clash of two of the Halifax Sunday League's major forces with '˜keeper Craig Lobley their star man.

Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 12:55 pm
Updated Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 12:56 pm
Actions from Waiters Arms v Carrington at Trinity Academy. Pictured is Matthew Jones and Billy Grogan

Green took an early lead when Matty Hoyle broke free and scored but good work by youngster Awais Khan paved the way for Matty Waller to level matters.

Hammers were kept out by Lobley and after the break Sameer Ahmed’s fine free kick hit the bar.

Bowling then broke clear and were awarded a free kick. Hammers keeper Bilal Sheraz watched in horror as Hoyle’s effort went past him.

Lamin Gitteh broke clear on the right and his good solo goal made it 2-2 but the celebrations had barely died down before a long ball into the danger area allowed Josh Wood to score from close range.

Hammers kept pushing men forward in the last 20 minutes and had lots of chances but were kept out by Lobley.

Carrington overcame another of the trickier hurdles in their title defence when they beat Waiters Arms 5-2 in a well contested encounter at Trinity Academy.

Chances were few and far between in a tight first half but Waiters took the lead when a cross from the right found David Chappell unmarked and he headed home.

Carrington levelled when Leon Hurles-Brook’s left food free-kick evaded everyone and found the corner of the net.

In the second half, great work from Damien Randall teed up Jordan Coduri inside the box and he made no mistake to give Carrington the lead for the first time.

The lead was extended when Matty Jones slammed home a pull-back from the dead ball line and then Hurles-Brooke finished well after a good passing move.

That 20 minute period of Carrington dominance briefly knocked the fight out of Waiters but they rallied and when Chappell pulled one back they pressed through a series of corners and free-kicks.

They were unable to make that pressure count and Coduri sealed Carrington’s 11th win from 11 outings with a sublime chip after a swift counter attack.

Top Club registered their first Premier Division victory since September with super-sub and set piece specialist Martain Boon to the fore in a 4-2 success against Ryburn United.

The Rastrick side were on the back foot for much of the first half against the slope at Carr Green.

Top Club keeper and player manager Matthew Spink made a couple of early saves but was then picking the ball out of his net after Scott Miller’s innocuous looking hit from the edge of the area.

Club made the most of their first sniff at goal after 20 minutes. Tom Gorringe and Dan McLeod setting up Adam Clayton to side foot the equaliser.

The match opened up approaching the break and there were opportunities at both ends. Ryburn regained the lead when Luke Hartley produced a fine through ball and John Wadsworth calmly finished.

Top Club upped the ante and Nick Delaney rattled the bar while Adam Clayton and McLeod might also have scored.

Spink turned to his bench for inspiration and Boon came up trumps with a curled free kick from the edge of the area.

He repeated the trick five minutes later, with more power, and Club made the game safe when Dan Lax’s cross was poked into his own net by a Ryburn defender.

Beehive and Cross Keys thumped Barge FC 5-0 in the battle of Division One promotion candidates.

The damage was done in the first half at Savile Park as Beehive stepped up considerably on their dismal display in defeat to Oddfellows the previous week.

The home side had players back and it showed as Nick Green scored a brace, including an unstoppable shot from outside the box, and Simon Gerrard, Ollie Fenton and Tom Lamb took them further clear.

Barge upped their efforts after the break but still needed good saves from their ‘keeper to ensure there was no further damage.

Beehive are second, behind runaway leaders Feathers who were inactive at the weekend, with Queens Head moving into third after a 10-3 drubbing of North Bridge.

Oddfellows kept up their good work with a 4-3 win away to Ovenden BCFC while Triangle won 4-2 away to Royd Club in the big game at the bottom, leaving their hosts two points adrift.

The only match in Division Two produced a surprise result with Weavers holding unbeaten leaders King Cross Park 2-2.

Park are still very much in the driving seat for the title, having only previously dropped points in a draw with North Bridge Reserves.

Hollins Holme’s tremendous West Riding Sunday Cup run came to a sad end with a 7-2 defeat away to Ferrybridge Progressive WMC at the weekend.

However, absent boss Joel Booth insisted his side had nothing to be ashamed of, having had a tremendous run to reach the quarter finals of the first time.

Booth couldn’t be there but kept in touch with the game via calls to his assistant Steve Parker.

“Apparently they had six semi-professional players in their team and are going all out to win the competition,” said Booth.

“All our players did well but they were just too good - we had no complaints.”

Hollins fell behind after five minutes but Andrew Butterworth equalised after half an hour and it remained 1-1 up to the interval.

However, it was largely one-way traffic in the second half and Ferrybridge powered clear before George Bamford scored a late second for the visitors.