Wetherby inflict home defeat on the Old Boys

Brighouse  Old Boys, in red, beat Mount St Mary's 2-1 in the WR Div One. '' 'Image02 ' captain James Fletcher
Brighouse Old Boys, in red, beat Mount St Mary's 2-1 in the WR Div One. '' 'Image02 ' captain James Fletcher

Brighouse Old Boys followed up their midweek 1-1 draw with Otley by slipping to a narrow home defeat.

Alex Tait had scored to give Old Boys the point on Wednesday and boss Phil Garbe re-jigged the side on Saturday to give some players a welcome rest.

Brighouse started brightly, the midfield of Tom Gorringe, Chris Wdowczyk, Matty Roy and Reece Bray outwitting their Wetherby counterparts.

James Fletcher and Tait were prominent up front, battling through the massed ranks of the away team defence, and managed to test the Wetherby keeper with other efforts flying wide. Unfortunately for Tait he injured his knee and was replaced by Rob Kenny up front.

Wetherby were quick on the counter-attack but the back four of Joe Nelson, Andy Hall, Lee Williams and Luke Johnson halted their advances with Jason Hibbert in the Brighouse goal rarely called into action.

The sucker punch arrrived before half time when a seemingly innocuous long diagonal ball from the Wetherby right back drifted over the heads of the Brighouse defence.

The ball was pounced upon by a Wetherby forward who slid it under the advancing Hibbert.

Brighouse redoubled their efforts after the break and took the game to Wetherby.

Andy Burton and Lee Malcher came on to add pressure on the Wetherby defence but it was all in vain as the visitors battled well.

Brighouse Old Boys 0

Wetherby Athletic 1

Beeston St Anthony’s Res 2

Brighouse Old Boys Res 3

West Yorkshire Alliance Division One

Brighouse Old Boys Reserves turned in one of their best performances in beating league leaders Beeston.

The breakthrough came when the home centre back handled Martin Newham’s cross and Mike Wadsworth stepped up to slot the ball home from the spot.

The lead was doubled when Lee Burgess closed down a defender, forcing an error before scoring in fine style.

Beeston hit back when they were awarded a free kick . The resulting cross was forced home by Martin Kelly to make it 2-1 at half time.

The home team came out with all guns blazing and after a spell of concerted pressure they equalised, Patrick Courtney forcing the ball past ‘keeper Joe Stead from a corner.

Brighouse didn’t let their heads drop and regained the lead after a flowing move resulted in Burgess’s cross being fired home by leading scorer Steve Ashford.

Beeston’s exasperation boiled over and after a two footed tackle on Dave Conway, Kelly was given a straight red card.