Victory sends Town top

Ernest Boafo
Ernest Boafo

Brighouse Town 3 Liversedge 0

Town secured a comfortable victory in a rather low-key derby match at the Dual Seal Stadium as they hit the top of the NCEL Premier Division table for the first time this season.

A couple of early goals for Town meant the game was nearly beyond the visitors before they had a chance to even settle into the game.

Town took the lead in the second minute when Tom Matthews’ shot from an acute angle was spilled by Sedge ‘keeper Michael Bathurst and skipper Leon Henry was first to react.

It was 2-0 on six minutes; a long clearance out of defence gave Ernest Boafo the chance to outstrip the defence and drilli the ball past Bathurst.

Liversedge looked shell-shocked and more goals looked on the cards for Town, but Andy Markham’s experience at the back for Sedge settled things down and started to repel Town’s constant attacks.

Sedge’s goal led a charmed life as Chris Fisher, Matthews, Fisher again and Ryan Hall all had shots blocked or saved.

Sedge were having a little more possession in midfield but were struggling to mount any serious threats on the Town goal. However, Town were making chances at regular intervals; Boafo volleyed just wide from a deep Matthews cross, then Boafo returned the favour with a brilliant run to the by-line and pull back for Town’s top scorer to force a brilliant low save from Bathurst.

Sedge’s only real chance of the half came on 44 minutes when Billy Grogan’s well struck shot brought a fine save from Jacob Giles who turned the ball wide for a corner.

Town came out for the second half playing at a much quicker tempo. On 48 minutes Fisher looked to have extended the lead with a brilliant header from Ryan Hall’s cross, but Bathurst clawed the ball from under the crossbar.

Intense pressure saw Hurtley crash a shot against the woodwork and from the ensuing goalmouth scramble the referee spotted a handball and Boafo smashing home the penalty to make it 3-0.

Within a 10 minute spell, Matthews, Henry and Naidole were replaced with Jason Price, Joe Jagger and Sam Hewitt.

Sedge showed great spirit to prevent Town from increasing their lead despite numerous attempts on goal from the home side; most notably from Jagger and Hurtley twice; one attempt coming back off the inside of the post, and a couple of efforts from Jason Price.