Victory at last for Greetland Reserves

Actions from Salem v Greetland res at Savile Park. Pictured is Jamie Duff and Sean Neary
Actions from Salem v Greetland res at Savile Park. Pictured is Jamie Duff and Sean Neary

Saturday was a landmark day for Greetland Reserves, who were breathing a huge sigh of relief after winning for the first time this season.

Their 18th outing in league and cup produced a surprise 2-1 win away to third-placed Salem in Division One at Savile Park.

Salem took the lead midway through the first half when a super pass from the outstanding Liam Huson found Dan Leonard, who broke the offside trap to slot past on-rushing ‘keeper Danny Hoyle.

The home side had a great chance to increase their lead when awarded a penalty for a foul by Callum Hanson but the Salem player dragged his effort wide.

Greetland equalised before half time when they were also awarded a penalty when Stephen Croft was adjudged to have handled.

Danny Dorward slotted the ball low into the net but the referee ordered a re-take after Jamie Duff had encroached into the area. Dorward kept his nerve and put the ball in the opposite corner.

Both sides had chances to take the lead in the second half but it was the pace and quality of Matty Hopley that proved to be the difference.

The winger raced away with 10 minutes to go before sliding the ball past Jamie Worrall and into the net.

Player/manager Brian Vickers was understandably delighted.

He said: “It is a superb result for us after so much disappointment.

“Credit must go to all the players who have kept turning up every week because some of the performances and results have been dreadful.

“At the end of last season we celebrated staying up in this division but at times this season we have wished we hadn’t!

“We will enjoy this win and hopefully take some confidence from it into our next game.”

Only two other games beat the freeze in the Halifax AFL.

Warley Rangers dropped two points in their Premier Division title quest and it could have been worse.

They trailed 3-1 with 15 minutes to go away to Hebden Royd Red but salvaged a 3-3 draw and remain sixth with games in hand on all the teams above them except Stump Cross.

Red Star had central midfielder James Rawlinson in goal in place of late arrival Joe Kidder.

Warley drew first blood but Lewis Cockroft headed home Matt Oddy’s perfect cross to make it 1-1 at half time.

Red Star had the upper hand and Cockroft put them 2-1 up from Patrick Thomas’s assist before Cockroft completed a hat-trick from the penalty spot after he had been brought down.

However, Warley were far from finished. They made it 3-2 when Rawlinson palmed a cross into the air and a visiting player volleyed home from close to the penalty spot.

The equaliser came five minutes from time when home player-manager Chris Garbutt’s attempted clearance hit a Warley player on the chest and the visiting player ran through and shot past Rawlinson.

The other game was at Sowerby Bridge where the home team beat Elland Allstars 3-1 in only their second outings since the end of November.

Dayle Maguire scored twice for Bridge with Lee Wood getting the other. Steve Mitchell replied.