Town triumph in re-arranged league date with Welfare

Actions from the game, Brighouse Town v Nostell MW at St Giles Road. Pictured is Ernest Boafo
Actions from the game, Brighouse Town v Nostell MW at St Giles Road. Pictured is Ernest Boafo

The floodlights failed and the game was abandoned at 0-0 back in August when Brighouse Town met Glasshoughton, but on Tuesday evening Paul Quinn’s on form team notched up another win in the replay.

Nine minutes in and Town, fresh from a 2-0 win over Norton United in the FA Vase last weekend, went one up with a goal from Tom Matthews who is now averaging a goal a game. Town won a throw in on the right and the ball landed right for Matthews to hook the ball into the goal from 18 yards out on the angle, putting it past a bewildered former Town keeper Paul Hagreen.

Town were dominating the game and playing down the left with former Bury apprentice Joe Thornton getting plenty of ball action. In the 25th minute Joe Mitchell was booked for shirt pulling.

A second goal came for Town in the 38th minute when Leon Henry put in a lovely square cross from the left that Ernest Boafo locked onto and sent skimming across the ground and into the back of the net, making it 2-0.

A minute later and with the Castleford visitors all at sea, Matthews was denied by the crossbar and then it was in at the half time break at 2-0.

Joe Thornton was unlucky not to score in the 64th minute as he put in a curved ball from the right that keeper Hagreen just managed to push out, by luck rather than management.

Then Hagreen was lucky to stay on the pitch as he brought down Matthews on the edge of his box and despite being the last line of defence was only shown a yellow card.

In the 67th minute Town brought on fresh legs as Luke Gibson replaced Boafo, who was heading off to his nightshift and not long after Danny Naidole was replaced by Ryan Hall as he swapped his kit for working gear on a nightshift!

James Hurtley was booked in the 70th minute for a foul tackle.

In a rare visit into the Town half in the 75th minute, Glasshoughton’s Hillard Serroea sent a ball in from around 30 yards out but keeper Taylor pushed it over the crossbar.

In the 80th minute Gibson beautifully set up Hall as he split the defence and the prolific goalscoring winger took the ball wide of Hagreen and slipped into the net for 3-0.

With just under five minutes to go, Glasshoughton had a final flourish with two quick fire shots from Serroea and Dalton Harris.

The visitors did however pull a goal back in the 88th with Serroea putting a blemish on the Town performance as under worked keeper Tom Taylor blundered in misjudging a cross.

Brighouse:Taylor, Field, Henry, Hewitt, Jaggar,Mitchell, Naidole, Hurtley, Boafo, Matthews, J Thornton.Subs: B Thornton, Giles, Wilson, Hall, Gibson.

Brighouse Town 3

Glasshoughton Welfare 1

By Emily Anderson

Toolstation NCEL Premier Division