Town through to face Staveley

Brighouse Town v Winterton Rangers. Luke Gibson.
Brighouse Town v Winterton Rangers. Luke Gibson.

BRIGHOUSE Town earned themselves a tough draw at last years semi-finalists Staveley Miners Welfare in the second round of the FA Vase after seeing off Hall Road in East Yorkshire last Saturday.

The tie was only two minutes old when Town conceded the first goal.

A free kick was awarded 35 yards out and John Slater stepped up and knocked what seemed a innocuous ball towards the back post, but it took a massive deflection off Nick Jagger’s shoulder, leaving Tom Taylor in Town’s goal stranded.

Within minutes it was all square when James Hurtley slipped the ball into Tom Matthew’s path just inside the area and the quick-footed striker turned his marker who brought down the Brighouse hit man. The referee seemed to wave away Town’s claims for a penalty, but his assistant quickly waved his flag and Matthews calmly slotted the ball past the Hall Road keeper.

Hall Road almost grabbed the lead two minutes later when Owen Mountain cut inside James Sutcliffe but Taylor made a smart save at the near post and Adam Wilson cleared the danger.

Town took the lead on 12 minutes when Matthews showed some real class. He turned two players on the halfway line before slipping Ryan Hall in down the right. The Town winger cut inside his marker before crossing to the back post where Luke Gibson volleyed the ball back into the danger area and Matthews chested the ball before swivelling and smashing home.

Hall Road were defending manfully but after 32 minutes full back Sutcliffe played the ball into Ernest Boafo in the box, and he turned his marker, but shot narrowly wide. Two minutes from the interval the Hall Road goal lived a charmed life when Matthews escaped the defence and fired past the home keeper but the ball hit both posts before staying out.

Hall was first to the loose ball but his cross was cleared and Hurtley knocked in a superb cross for Boafo who missed the far post with his header from six yards out.

Town controlled much of the territory at the start of the second half and almost added to their score when a ball in from Gibson was controlled by Mathews but a bad bobble thwarted the striker. On 52 minutes Gibson slipped Hall in down the middle, but the winger shot wide when well placed. Hall Road then created their best chance of the second half, when a cross from the right was flicked on by Mountain but he shot wide from just inside the box.

Town should have put the game to bed when Matthews sent Boafo clear on goal but he seemed to change his mind twice before fluffing what was a great chance.

Town grabbed their third goal just after the hour when Joe Mitchell’s corner was only cleared to Wilson and the Town centre back knocked a great ball back into Mitchell who cut in and beat the full back before knocking in a great ball for Jagger who flicked the ball home with the outside of his boot.

John Slater hit a shot from just outside Town’s box but his shot clipped the outside of the post, and was cleared by Sutcliffe. Three minutes later the game was over as a contest when Hall robbed the home side’s left back and outpaced the defence before smashing the ball past the keeper.

Manager Paul Quinn rang the changes with Craig Billington replacing Matthews and Ryan Farrell replacing Gibson.

On 75 minutes Hall Road grabbed a second when a Slater free kick wasn’t cleared and the cross was headed in by Mountain.

Town added a fifth seven minutes from the end when a ball in from Tom Brown was controlled by Billington. The striker dummied which sat his marker on the floor before calmly smashing the ball past the home keeper.

FA Vase - First Round

Hall Road Rangers 2

Brighouse Town 5