Town’s vein of form continues

Actions from Brighouse Town v Holbrook Sports, FA Vase football at St Giles Road.'Pictured is Tom Matthews
Actions from Brighouse Town v Holbrook Sports, FA Vase football at St Giles Road.'Pictured is Tom Matthews

AFTER last week’s excitement and drama in the FA Vase there was a fear that Town might fall into the trap of an “after the Lord Mayor’s show” type of performance.

There wasn’t too much excitement and no drama, but Town got the win they wanted on a cold grey afternoon at the Dual Seal Stadium.

The victory keeps Town in third position, but with Bridlington losing, they are now just three points off top spot.

Town looked in control from the start but a very heavy pitch was making flowing football difficult.

Manager Paul Quinn has instilled a great attitude into his players who have a willingness to roll their sleeves up and work hard if needed, and this was one of those days.

James Hurtley and Joe Mitchell set the tone in central midfield and wide players Ryan Hall and Danny Naidole worked tireless up and down the flanks.

Tom Brown made the first opening for Town when he made a great overlapping run but his excellent cross was well defended by Toby Rutter. Town had to make an early change on 15 minutes when Ben Charlesworth replaced the injured Adam Wilson in central defence.

The opening 30 minutes had seen neither side carve out a clear goal scoring opportunity, but Town were having the majority of the possession with Nostell mainly threatening on the counter attack.

Then, just at the point where maybe a little frustration started to creep into the play, Town took the lead with brilliant goal.

The ball was spread wide to Ben Charlesworth who whipped in a great cross for James Hurtley to score with a diving header at the back post.

The remainder of the half was played in Nostell territory, but resolute defending prevented Town getting that telling pass inside the box to give Tom Matthews or Ernest Boafo a chance.

The second half continued much like the first, but both sides showed early signs of tiredness on the energy sapping pitch.

With that in mind, Town introduced Craig Thompson off the bench for Boafo. On 58 minutes Naidole showed his skills with a mazy run past three defenders before poking the ball wide.

The killer second goal for Town came after 61 mins when a mistake by Nostell keeper Jamie Ord allowed Matthews to pounce and fire into the bottom corner to make it 2-0.

There was a feeling that a second goal would be enough anyway to claim the points, but Town made the game safe two minutes later when a superb through ball from Ryan Hall was clinically despatched by Matthews to make it 3-0.

Town brought James Sutcliffe on for Tom Brown, and he and fellow fullback Leon Henry started to get more space on the flanks to join in attacks as Nostell tired.

The nearest Nostell came to scoring was on 69 minutes when ex-Town player Graham Marchant curled a free kick towards the bottom corner which brought out a brilliant save from Town keeper Tom Taylor.

Town controlled the game to the end with Charlesworth and Nick Jaggar showing great discipline and commitment to prevent Nostell having any opportunities of a comeback.

Likewise, keeper Taylor didn’t have one of his busier days, but he made sure his concentration was good throughout and did all the “bread and butter” duties in a very professional way and he deserved his clean sheet along with the rest of the defence.

Brighouse Town 3

Nostell MW 0

Baris NCEL Premier Division