Town’s efforts all in vain as title hopes slip away at the last

Football - Brighouse Town v Worksop.'Luke Gibson for Brighouse.
Football - Brighouse Town v Worksop.'Luke Gibson for Brighouse.

Town knew before the start of the game only three points would do if they were to keep their slim hopes of the title alive.

However, it was all in vain as Scarborough Athletic’s 2-0 home win over Retford confirmed them as champions

Leon Henry and Luke Gibson started well with Henry causing trouble for right back Alex Sherwood, but the chance couldn’t be finished by Tom Matthews due to the intervention of Ryan Cooper.

On six minutes Barton’s Ashley Lattimore crossed for top scorer Gareth Barlow but Town captain Adam Wilson was on hand to deny the striker before Tim Taylor had Brighouse ‘keeper Tom Taylor at full stretch as he shot narrowly wide from 20 yards.

Town took the lead on 15 minutes when a great kick from Taylor found Gibson deep in Barton territory and he showed fine skill before firing past Ben White.

After Taylor and Wilson combined to prevent an equaliser, Town added to their lead, with the home side appealing for a throw in.

Henry skipped past his marker and found Matthews who expertly placed the ball wide of White.

James Hurtley was replaced by Ben Thornton at the interval and two minutes after the restart Barton almost got onto the scoresheet when Taylor made a good save low down to his left with Barton’s Tim Taylor ready to pounce, Wilson again on hand to clear the danger.

Town started to dominate and made it three on 55 minutes when Thornton sent Henry free down the middle. The winger’s pass split the home team’s defence allowing Ben Charlesworth in down the right and he rolled the ball along the six yard box for Gibson who tapped into the empty net.

Town were comfortable but against the run of play Barton grabbed a goal back, sloppy defending allowing Lattimore to find Barlow just outside the box and he curled the ball round Taylor.

Town were still dominating but Matthews crashed the ball over the bar and White denied Ryan Hall twice with one-on-one’s.

On 75 minutes White made what turned out to be a massive save, first denying Gibson and then Hall for a fourth time from close range.

The ball was then sent up the other end where Town failed to clear and Sherwood crossed for Barlow to head home.

On 85 minutes it was 3-3, when Tim Taylor sucked left back Tom Brown into a challenge inside the area, and referee Hristo Karaivanov pointed to the spot.

Tim Taylor stepped up and Tom Taylor saved but the Barton striker was quickest to the rebound and lifted the ball over the prone Brighouse stopper into the roof of the net.

Barton Town Old Boys 3

Brighouse Town 3

By Darren Laycock

Baris NCEL Premier Division