Town gear up with strong workouts

Football - Brighouse Town v Thackley.'Danny Naidole for Brighouse.
Football - Brighouse Town v Thackley.'Danny Naidole for Brighouse.
Share this article

Brighouse Town 0

Huddersfield Town XI 2

Ray McLaughlin reports

A VERY talented young Huddersfield Town side visited the Dual Seal Stadium last Friday evening and came away with a 2-0 victory in a very entertaining match.

Both sides started well, passing and moving the ball quickly on the excellent playing surface. Town’s Ernest Boafa had the first serious attempt on goal, his shot well saved by the Huddersfield keeper. On 20 minutess Huddersfield took the lead with a well taken goal by Paul Mullins after Town were guilty of giving the ball away in their own half.

Town responded well with an Adam Wilson header from a Danny Naidole cross being saved, and Leon Henry showing some excellent skills down the left flank. Huddersfield’s passing and possession football was making life hard for Town to build any sustained pressure but Naidole and James Hurtley both produced snap-shots from outside the box that only just cleared the crossbar.

The second half continued in much the same vein with a lot of possession football from Huddersfield. There was also a really good tempo to the match as both sides tried to be progressive.

Huddersfield made it 2-0 on 70 minutes with a low shot by Jake Charles from the edge of the box for an excellent individual goal.

Brighouse Town’s fitness levels looked good despite spending a lot of the game working hard to win back possession and they produced a strong finish to the match. Naidole fired in a dangerous free kick and Wilson, Henry and Ben Thornton combined well but Town could not penetrate a well drilled Huddersfield defence.

AFC Emley 1

Brighouse Town 3

Ray McLaughlin reports

TOWN made the short journey to Emley for their final pre-season friendly and came away with a good victory in an entertaining and competitive game.

Emley started the better, enjoying plenty of possession, so it was against the run of play that Town took the lead on four minutes with a stunning strike into the top corner from Ernest Boafa. Undeterred, Emley still had the upper hand but Town were slowly getting into the game with Boafa’s shot testing Clarke on 13 minutes.

Ash Flynn had Emley’s first shot on target from a free kick on 16 minutes, which was comfortably dealt with by Tom Taylor, while Dean Wharam fired over from inside the box.

Good build up from Town released Tom Matthews whose shot was blocked for a corner before the home side should have equalised on 32 minutes when Wharam blazed over with the goal at his mercy, although Hurtley’s hard work to get back and put him off was commendable.

Just before half time there were chances for both sides; first Hurtley broke clear to force Clarke into a near post save, then former Town player of last season, Anthony Haigh hit a dipping shot just wide and Flynn forced Taylor into a good save, turning his shot onto the bar to make sure Town took their lead into the break.

Town came out for the second half in determined fashion and took the game to Emley, with Alex Hallam setting Matthewsup within the first two minutes. It was therefore no surprise when Town made it 2-0 after 52 minutes when Tom Brown’s cross was headed home by Boafa.

On 60 minutes a great run out of defence by Nick Jagger saqw him pass wide to Brown and Danny Naidole headed narrowly wide from the full back’s cross. Emley had struggled to get into the game in the second half but Liam Schoefield’s free kick brought a save from Taylor.

Emley did pull a goal back from a soft Steve Kenworthy penalty after 63 minutes when the Emley player fell over with a delayed reaction. The goal spurred Emley on with Flynn shooting narrowly wide but Town soon took control of the game again.

Naidole, and Matthews, twice, had efforts on goal with Hurtley and Akeroyd involved in the build ups. Emley came back at Town again with Taylor having to make a smart double save and then tip a Schoefield free kick over the bar.

Town finally wrapped the game up in the final minute with an excellent goal. Gibson’s clever reverse pass released Hallam whose pinpoint cross was headed home by Hurtley.

Two good sides playing a competitive match was just the right preparation for both clubs as they look forward to the new season on Saturday.