Town forced to settle for a point

Football - Brighouse Town v Worksop.'Luke Gibson for Brighouse.
Football - Brighouse Town v Worksop.'Luke Gibson for Brighouse.

Brighouse went into this game with three key players missing with captain Nick Jagger, Sam Hewitt and Danny Nadiole all being suspended.

The first incident of an action packed game came in the second minute when Pickering’s Joe Danby flicked the ball inside Leon Henry but the ball accidentally struck the fullback’s hand, referee Mark Dwyer waving away the home side’s claims for a penalty.

Liam Shepherd tested Brighouse keeper Tom Taylor, but the big stopper was equal to the shot.

Brighouse created their first good chance on 10 minutes when winger Ryan Hall slipped the ball to Ernest Boafo and the quick-footed striker rolled his marker and quickly burst in on goal and hit a rasping shot that ‘keeper Aaron Reid managed to get a foot to.

Brighouse started to get a foothold in the game and a foul on Town hit-man Tom Matthews was nearly punished when Ben Thornton’s free kick was headed down by James Hurtley, but Boafo’s goal-bound effort was diverted for a corner.

On 33 minutes Brighouse almost took the lead when Matthews went on one of his trademark runs but his thunderbolt shot could only be parried by Reid and the home keeper was quickest to the rebound.

On 36 minutes Pickering almost took the lead, when a corner from the right was headed towards goal by Jamie Paterson but James Sutcliffe denied the midfielder by clearing the ball off the line.

From the clearance Matthews was sent through on goal by Adam Wilson but the home keeper impeded the Brighouse striker and was sent off.

Pickering striker Liam Salt took the gloves as the home side had no reserve keeper on the bench, but James Sutcliffe blazed the resulting free kick over the bar.

Brighouse almost took the lead when a corner was worked to Luke Gibson but again Pickering got a block on the ball with Boafo blazing the rebound over the bar from 10 yards.

Brighouse started the second period brightly and with the half only two minutes old, Leon Henry burst down the left and beat three players before squaring the ball for Matthews, but again a last ditch tackle blocked the shot.

Pickering had their first real attack of the second half just after the hour when Liam Shepherd worked the ball to Joe Danby but Taylor made a good save low down.

Brighouse were still pushing forward and on 75 minutes a cross from the right by Sutcliffe was laid back by Gibson, but again Brighouse were guilty of not hitting the target as Thornton hit his shot over the bar.

Pickering took the lead when Dalton slipped inside Mitchell and from the edge of the box he found the bottom right hand corner of Taylor’s net.

Within two minutes of the restart parity was restored when Luke Gibson crossed for Hurtley who was unlucky to see his header come back off the post, but the Matthews was on hand to calmly smash the rebound into the back of the net.

Brighouse threw everything at Pickering, but the home side stood up manfully to the task.

Pickering Town 1

Brighouse Town 1

Baris NCEL Premier Division

Calder 76 2

Brighouse Town Reserves 2

Calder 76 win 4-1 on penalties

BRIGHOUSE Town Reserves travelled to Luddendenfoot for this twice postponed Albert Crabtree Halifax and District Cup third round encounter with Calder 76 expecting a full bloodied tie against the Halifax Premier League opposition.

The ultimate difference was Calder’s commitment to the cause and desire to get something out of the game.

Brighouse began to get a hold of the game with Jordan Townend and Tom Rose taking control of the midfield area and the pace of Will Tolley and Eli Hey saw them get in behind the home full backs.

Brighouse broke the deadlock when Tolley was released down the left following good interplay by Robbie Wadsworth, Tom Rose and Jordan Townened and he finished powerfully across the goalkeeper into the far corner.

Breathing space seemed to have been established after the break when Antony Brown finished superbly.

Instead of putting the pressure on the home side, Brighouse sat back and gave Calder the opportunity to launch high balls into the area. This pressure paid dividends when, from a corner, Calder scored a disputed goal when both Joe Stead in the Brighouse goal and captain Matt Hartley appeared to be fouled when trying to get to the ball.

Indecision in the Brighouse defence provided Calder with a corner that allowed them to cause havoc in the penalty area and a weak clearance fell to a player on the edge of the box, who calmly drove the ball into the back of the Brighouse net.

Extra time should have allowed the superior fitness and skill of Brighouse to come to the fore, but it was Calder who looked more like scoring.

With the home team appearing to have decided that penalties would be their preferred option it was clear that one chance could decide the tie and Ruben Jerome released Townend down the right with minutes of extra time left and he struck a confident and powerful shot goal bound only to see the Calder goalkeeper make a great save.

With two certain penalty takers in Tolley and Hey already substituted the team were looking for volunteers to step forward.

Credit to all five players who put themselves up for the task but with Calder scoring all of their first four penalties and Brighouse only one from their first three the tie was settled.