Town face replay after Vase showdown ends in stalemate

Actions from the game, Brighouse Town v Parkgate at St Giles Road.'Pictured is Tom Matthews
Actions from the game, Brighouse Town v Parkgate at St Giles Road.'Pictured is Tom Matthews

Brighouse Town 3

Whickham FC 3 (after extra time)

FA Vase 3rd round

By Emily Anderson

Brighouse Town face a replay in the FA Vase against visiting Toon Army Whickham FC after a superb cup tie on Tuesday evening that went to extra time without penalties.

Over the 120 plus minutes Town were the better side but Whickham seized their chances and made good matching the home side goal for goal.

On eight minutes Danny Naidole hit the post followed 10 minutes later by Ben Thornton who shot on target but the ball just rolled wide of the goal mouth.

It was in the 20th minute that the Tynesiders went one up, against the run of play when Steven Alston put the ball past keeper Jacob Giles.

Town did level the scores in the 29th minute through an own goal. Awarded a free kick some 30 metres out, Joe Mitchell sent the ball into the area and Matthews latched on with his head but Nathan Johnstone tried to aid his goalie and ended up heading the ball over his own line to make it 1-1.

Town scored again in the 33rd minute with a superb display of teamwork.

It started down in their own half with Leon Henry passing to Ernest Boafo who then fed to Matthews who ran down centre field before off-loading to Ryan Hall who ran 30 yards to go one-on-one with keeper John Morday. The keeper came out and dived to the feet of Hall but the ball had momentum and clipped the keeper and kept on rolling to cross the line and taking the score to 2-1.

Whickham picked up the pace but failed to put any real pressure on the Town goal before the half time break.

The visitors seemed to have had the right pep talk at half time and from the 55th to 65th minute had a purple patch spending quite a bit of time in the Town half with just a couple of forays from Town.

Fresh legs came on in the 70th minute for Brighouse when James Hurtley came on to replace Joe Mitchell. With around 15 minutes to go Ross Pereath threatend the Town goal with a header that looked all on but it just went a foot over the crossbar to the relief of Town.

A minute later and Town had to replace injured skipper Henry with debutant William Tolley and also In the 82nd minute Hall was also replaced by Joe Thornton.

Then, from a corner, Whicham’s Liam Barrett hammered the ball on target but Giles made a superb save and pushed the ball back out. In the 88th minute Whickham’s persistance did pay off when they equalised with a stunning 20 yard volley across the face of goal through Andy Farray to end the game 2-2.

In the 98th Matthews was tripped in the box and the team and fans were calling for penalty but Premier League assistant referee Paul Kettlewell said no.

Just as the first 15 minutes of play came to a close Town made it 3-2 as a pass from Boafo set Matthews up superbly and the hitman delivered . After a quick break, the second 15 minutes of extra time began and straight from the off Town were awarded a free kick.

Ian Robson put the visitors right back in the FA Vase with a goal to take it to 3-3.

Town were given a free kick in the final minute, Naidole fired a superb strike on target but keeper Morday snuffed out the chance, meaning Town will travel to Gateshead for a replay.

Brighouse:Giles, Field, Henry, Hewitt, Wilson, Mitchell, Naidole, B Thornton, Boafo, Matthews, Hall. Subs: Hurtley, Brown, Gibson, J Thornton, Tolley.