Town come back from a goal down

Football - Brighouse Town v Tadcaster.'Danny Naidole for Brighouse.
Football - Brighouse Town v Tadcaster.'Danny Naidole for Brighouse.

BRIGHOUSE Town came back from a goal down in 30 seconds to play Tadcaster Albion off the proverbial park.

After their charitable start to the season continued, player-manager Paul Quinn commented: “We talked about having a strong start but there was nothing Tom (Taylor) could have done to save that goal, it was a very good strike on goal.

“ I can’t fault the performance today overall, it was really good, we just need to strive for some consistency.”

“We now have after the Tuesday game at Nostell, two games over the bank holiday weekend and we won’t get eleven players through that programme so we are going to have to freshen up the squad.

“It was hard on last week’s hero Ben Charlesworth sitting on the bench along with Greg Porter but these players will get their chance in a busy season ahead.”

It was 30 seconds into the game that Tadcaster scored with a powerful curving shot from Chris Kamara from some 25 yards out.

On the six minute mark, Town replied when Leon Henry and Ernest Boafa played a part in setting up a rebounded ball from the keeper for Tom Matthews to bury in the back of the net and make it one a piece.

In the 12th minute, Tadcaster placed another shot almost on target as Terry Taylor just sent the ball to the left of the goal.

It was a hot sunny day and the players of both teams were both up for the challenge despite the strength sapping conditions..

Town were being plagued by Tadcaster’s Louie Swaine who was firing attempts on the Town goal left, right and centre.

However in the 23rd minute Town made it 2-1 when Matthews bagged his second goal of the game putting the ball past keeper Liam Kelsey after some neat footwork to out fox the home defence.

A minute later, Matthews, sniffing a hat trick, had his attempt fortunately kicked away by Kelsey.

Swaine then squared a nice ball to Nick Thompson on 35 minutes, but keeper Taylor dived to save it.

As frustrations boiled over for Tadcaster, Steve Jeff was given a yellow card for dissent.

In to the second half and Danny Naidole made it 3-1 in the 51st minute with a hard low shot, much to the frustration of the Tadcaster goalie.

A few minutes late and Kelsey again denied Matthews his hat trick.

In the 58th minute Tadcaster were awarded a penalty, given for a foul by Ben Thornton. Terry Taylor missed his opportunity to start biting at Town’s heels as the ball hit the foot of a post but Tom Taylor had it covered anyway. .

The visitors then brought on fresh legs with Danny Gray entering the field and Charles Binns heading for the bench.

In the 60th minute Kelsey saved an attempt from Naidole as Sam Akeroyd entered the field of play and Joe Mitchell was substituted.

Henry made it 4-1 in the 64th minute when James Hurtley set him up.

In the 70th Anthony Brown replaced Ernest Boafa followed by Ben Charlesworth coming on for Adam Wilson.

Two minutes of added time were added on and Town took advantage as Akeroyd made it 5-1 after receiving a pass from Matthews which put him in the right position to cash in.

Brighouse: Tom Taylor, Thornton, T Brown, Wilson, Jagger, Hurtley, Naidole, Mitchell, Boafa, Matthews, Henry. Subs: Akeroyd, Charlesworth, Porter, Quinn, A Brown.

Tadcaster: Kelsey, N Kamara, Jeff, Binns, Sparkes, Qualter, C Kamara, Thompson, Pell, Swaine, Terry Taylor. Subs: Gray, Ward, Owen, Bissett.

Referee: D. Watson

Brighouse Town 5 Tadcaster Albion 1

Baris NCEL Premier Division