Town bow out of League Cup after dramatic shootout

Actions from the game, Brighouse Town v Armthorpe Welfare at St Giles Road. Pictured is James Hurtley
Actions from the game, Brighouse Town v Armthorpe Welfare at St Giles Road. Pictured is James Hurtley

Brighouse Town were knocked out of the NCEL League Cup on penalties in a hard fought game at the Dual Seal Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Paul Quinn fielded a mixture of youth and experience and they really took the game to Long Eaton.

The kick off was delayed for 20 minutes as the visitors only made the ground at 7.20pm, due to an accident on the M62 earlier in the day.

It was a very even contest in the opening 20 minutes with both sides working hard and giving plenty in both attack and defence.

Both had a couple of chances from free kicks and it wasn’t until the 20 minute mark that Paul Brown was really troubled, hitting the deck to keep out an unmarked Scott James .

Brighouse were unlucky to have a corner cleared a few minutes later.

The game flowed from end to end and despite the best efforts of Angus Hasting and Brad Waddington, Dominic Allen found his way through but his shot was straight at Brown.

The visitors continued to keep Brighouse pinned in their own half and Gerome Palmer headed justw wide from a corner.

Long Eaton were unlucky again as livewire winger Michael Armstrong sent a great ball in for Justin Jenkins, but it just went over the woodwork.

When Brighouse managed to get deep into United’ territory they were unable to make it count as first an opportunity from a corner was scuppered and then Will Tolley put the ball across an open goal but nobody could put a boot on it and the half ended goalless.

The visitors continued where they had left off and it took time forBrighouse to trouble their keeper.

James Hurtley took a free kick just outside the box but straight into the hands of Cameron Mason.

It gave Town the boost they needed and they eventually got off the mark on 61 minutes through Will Tolley

Brighouse managed to fight off further advances from Long Eaton and after finding no way through themselves, Luke Gibson went on a jinking run from right to left but his shot clipped the wrong side of the post.

Town were hunting a second and Joe Jagger got to the area but his hard work was wasted as he hit the post.

Long Eaton dealt the killer blow at the death as towering striker Jamaine Palmer vollied the ball in from the edge of the box to make it 1-1.

Ten minutes into extra time the visitors made it 2-1 when Elliott Tomlinson crossed and Jamaine Palmer was there again to head the ball in.

Quinn asked for a response from his charges and he got one a few minutes later as Gibson created the chance for Hurtley to get the equaliser.

It stayed that way into the second spell and they only yellow card of the game was shown to Sam Holt after he went in late on Armstrong.

All eleven players from both sides stepped up as the penalty shootout went to sudden death.

Joe Mitchell and Allen had theirs saved while ‘keeper Brown took last one and it was an easy stop for Mason.

Gerome Palmer stepped up to takew the final kick. Although he didn’t look confident on his walk in to the penalty box, he struck the ball well to send Long Eaton into the next round and a trip to Pickering Town.

Brighouse: 1 Paul Brown, 2 Ben Thornton, 3 Angus Hastings, 4 Sam Hewitt, 5 Brad Waddington, 6 Joe Mitchell, 7 Luke Hill, 8 James Hurtley, 9 Joe Jagger, 10 Will Tolley, 11 Luke Gibson. Subs 12 Sam Holt, 13 Jacob Giles, 14 Craig Billington, 15 James Sutcliffe, 16 Adam Sutcliffe.

Long Eaton: 1 Cameron Mason, 2 Michael Armstrong, 3 Adam Corrigan, 4 Danny Chambers, 5 Ross Parker, 6 Gerome Palmer, 7 Courey Grantham, 8 Dominic Allen, 9 Justin Jenkins, 10 Ben Gowling, 11 Scott James. Subs 12 Elliott Tomlinson, 14 Lejawn Simmons, 15 James Ainsworth, 16 Jamaine Palmer, 17 Harry Daykin.

Referee: David Sullivan (Sheffield)

Brighouse Town 2

Long Eaton United 2

League Cup Round 3

(aet - Town lost 9-10 on pens)

by Charlotte Henbest