Third win in a week puts Town in pole position for title glory

Brighouse Town v Glasshoughton.'Ryan Hall for Brighouse.
Brighouse Town v Glasshoughton.'Ryan Hall for Brighouse.
Share this article

Brighouse Town made it three wins in seven days to put pressure on Scarborough Athletic and Bridlington Town as the title race really hots up.

After the massive win in midweek at Heanor Town, it was another big away game at Staveley Miners for Paul Quinn’s title chasing side.

The Town manager made four changes, utilising his strong squad, as the games come thick and fast.

The game was only two minutes old when Staveley broke through Ryan Damms down the left flank, but cover from Adam Wilson and Nick Jagger arrived to force the pass inside to Ben Kistell who could only hit a tame shot into the midriff of Tom Taylor.

Town were dominating the early possession and territory, and on four minutes a pass from livewire Ryan Hall found Ernest Boafo just outside the Staveley box.

He quickly slipped Luke Gibson in but a last ditch covering tackle by Joe Bytheway forced the ball for a corner.

The corner found Wilson but he could only head the ball harmlessly over the bar.

On nine minutes Hall linked up with Boafo, but with the Town winger bearing down on goal the danger was cleared.

Three minutes later a run from Staveley’s Jamie Smith saw him beat two men to find himself free inside the Town half, but Wilson snuffed out the danger.

Town thought they had taken the lead after 16 minutes when Ben Thornton set up Gibson, but the winger had his shot tipped round the post at the last second by home keeper Richard Ayres.

Town did finally take the lead six minutes later when Wilson made a great tackle inside his own half. The defender picked up the loose ball and in an instant he sent Hall through on goal with a great pass.

The Town winger raced clear, Ayres came out to put pressure on the wide man, but Hall cut inside before calmly slotting the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

Town nearly made it 2-0 when right back James Sutcliffe found Naidole just outside the Staveley penalty area. The winger jinked one way before sending his shot towards goal but again, at full stretch, Ayres made the save.

The second half was only a minute old when the home side’s goal was again under siege. A Joe Mitchell pass sent Hall in but Ayres denied the quick-footed winger by forcing his shot for a corner.

The corner was sent over by Naidole and the ball was only half cleared to Wilson whose shot was blocked in the six yard box.

The ball was hacked clear to Naidole who picked out Sam Hewitt at the back post, and he unselfishly found Jagger with a header back across goal for the Town captain who had the simple task of tapping the ball into the empty net. Staveley had a great chance to reduce the arrears when Ben Kistell slipped Joe Barratt in down the right wing. He in turn put Damms in on goal but Taylor spread himself for a great point-blank save.

On 62 minutes Craig Thompson replaced Ben Thornton and the big striker was immediately in the action but his shot from outside the box went narrowly wide.

Staveley were hanging on as Boafo broke down the right. He unselfishly crossed but Mitchell took an age to shoot and Ayres and Barratt both blocked the chance.

The ball broke for Boafo who was again denied by a now prone Ayres, who was scrambling along the floor and somehow stopped the ball going in.

“I am delighted to have gained nine points from a very tricky seven days,” said Quinn after the game. “I thought the performance today was extremely professional.”

Staveley MW 0

Brighouse Town 2

Baris NCEL Premier Division