Substitute Broadbent in at the double to earn draw

Old Boys Reserves
Old Boys Reserves

OLD Boys Reserves claimed a deserved draw in a thrilling game with equalising goal in the dying moments.

Forced into changes due to absence and injuries, Old Boys lined up with a two-pronged strikeforce of Matthew Richardson and Elliot Fris, a midfield four of Jake Broadbent and Peter Kuleczko on the flanks, Jimmy Cummings and Warren Phillips in the middle plus a back four of Jordan Hadden, Graham Tait, Joe Nalson and Dan Addy.

In the first half, Old Boys seemed lacklustre in their approach, giving the ball away, not competing for the first and second ball and not really making an impression on the Field defence. Field pressed for the opener, in some instances only thwarted by the athletic interventions of Brighouse keeper Jason Armstrong, but their pressure paid off in the end. A lunge by full-back Addy led to a penalty which Field scored.

Kuleczko’s pace and Richardson’s guile led to the award of a free-kick which Fris placed beautifully past the Field keeper.

Field re-took the lead when a mistake in the Old Boys’s defence allowed a forward to poke the ball home, and they extended their lead before the break after poor marking at the back.

Manager Andy Burton regrouped the players and challenged them to step up to the mark, and a different team seemed to appear after the break.

Cummings started to show his undoubted talents, spraying the ball around the park, and Richardson’s ability to hold the ball up allowed Broadbent to come into the game. Fris pulled a goal back with an astute finish.

Then against the run of play, Field went up the other end and scored, and at 4-2 down the game looked likely to end in their favour.

Fresh legs were needed, so James Coates, Jake Broadbent and Martin Newham were sent on to add pressure on the home side.

Old Boys pressed the home side on either flanks, opening up the Field defence and with five minutes left pulled a goal back when Regan Broadbent tapped in a cross at the far post.

With seconds left on the clock an almost copycat move allowed Coates to hit a low cross once again to the far post.

Regan Broadbent sprinted past two defenders to stroke the ball home to ensure Town Old Boys Reserves got the rewards they deserved.