Stroll for Old Boys in Trophy

Brighouse Old Boys keeper Gareth Betts stretches to save during his side's West Yorkshire League Cup clash with Leeds City
Brighouse Old Boys keeper Gareth Betts stretches to save during his side's West Yorkshire League Cup clash with Leeds City
Share this article

Brighouse eased through to the second round of the League Trophy with a comfortable win against their second division opponents.

From the off the home side dominated proceedings and took the lead after three minutes when the lively Mitch Hirst was brought down on the

edge of the penalty, Dan Leahy stepped up to hit an unstoppable drive past a startled ‘keeper Ryan Plows.

It could have been two minutes later after Steve Ashford’s cross found Leahy but his powerful header was well saved by Plows.

The second came after 15 minutes when, following a goalmouth scramble, the ball bounced out to Ashford who lobbed the ball into the corner of the net. tTe game was virtually over after 20 minutes, a flowing move out of defence and Ashford’s pass found Martin Newham who drove the ball into the corner of the net.

Kippax tried to respond but were up against a home back four of Gary Nicholson, Marko O’Boyle, Lee Williams and Grame Tait who were in such control that home ‘keeper Gareth Betts had barely a shot to save other than a couple of hopeful long range efforts.

Adam Williams and Mike Wadsworth were running the show in midfield and after 40 minutes it was four when the former’s pass found Leahy who slotted the ball home in style.

The second half saw more of the same, but Kippax got men behind the ball and defended in numbers to make it difficult for the home side.

Substitutes Ben Oakland, Alex Tait and Jonny Conway were introduced to keep the momentum going and Brighouse finally added to the score with 20 minutes remaining when Wadsworth’s pinpoint through ball released youngster Hirst and he coolly slotted past the advancing Plows to score his first goal for the club.

Best for the Old Boys were Ashford, Leahy and Hirst.

Brighouse Old Boys Res 5

Kippax Res 0

West Yorkshire Football League League Trophy

Last minute penalty sparks ugly scenes but gives Brighouse deserved point

UGLY scenes at the final whistle marred what had been a pulsating game as the home side crowded the referee after a last minute penalty decision gave Brighouse Old Boys a well deserved point.

The Huddersfield United players and manager clearly felt harshly done by as they surrounded the refereelong after the final whistle had gone.

Putting aside the home side’s histrionics, a draw was just about a fair result. The opening 20 minutes belonged to Huddersfield and it was no surprise when they went ahead.

A lightning move down the left flank saw an early delivery into the box and a delightful back-heeled effort put the hosts 1-0 up.

However, Brighouse rallied through Warren Phillips, Leighton Armstrong and Beaver up front and deservedly equalised wiuth a well-worked goal.

A succession of quick passes forced a throw in which Jamie Beavers took early setting player-chairman Richard Rothwell away. He in-turn took his time before squaring to the unmarked Armstrong who carefully stroked the ball beyond the reach of the keeper from the edge of the box.

There was a brief stoppage when a clash of heads left Andy Taylor with a nasty gash. However, having had his head bandaged, he quickly returned to the game.

Brighouse took the lead for the first time after a scintillating run and excellent cross from Tom Collins saw the home defence put through their own net.

The second half saw Huddersfield come flying out of the blocks and were level from the penalty spot after Wayne Cummins was correctly judged to have tripped the advancing Huddersfield forward.

Huddersfield regained the lead for a second time after a long ball down the middle of the pitch allowed the pacy centre forward to sprint clear and beat the advancing Ben Briggs.

With time running out, and with Phillips driving his team forward for an equaliser, Brighouse were always dangerous. It looked like their chance had gone when Rothwell’s fierce drive was saved. However, Rothwell was quickest to react to the loose ball and was about to pull the trigger when he was hacked down in the box.

Up stepped veteran Andy Taylor to send the keeper the wrong way sparking furious protests from the Huddersfield United entourage.

Old Boys manager Rod Moore commented; “Today was a real test and I’m really proud of how we battled against a talented side that put us under a lot of pressure. We’ll take a lot of confidence from today into our home game against Mount next week.”

Best for Brighouse were Andy Taylor, Sam Davidson and Leighton Armstrong.

Huddersfield United 3

Brighouse Old Boys 3

Huddersfield District League Division Four