Sports and Sowerby on a collision course as race for second intensifies

Borham Doski for Brighouse and Danny Swales for Ryburn.
Borham Doski for Brighouse and Danny Swales for Ryburn.

Brighouse Sports face a crunch contest on Saturday in their bid for a second successive promotion in the Halifax AFL.

Garry West side’s travel to play Sowerby United in a Division One game between sides who appear to be battling for the runners-up berth behind 100 per cent record-holders Illingworth St Mary’s.

Sports, who had a tricky game away to Elland Allstars last night (Wednesday), made it 14 wins from 16 outings this season when they beat Ryburn United Reserves 6-1 at Lane Head last Saturday.

Three goals in each half did the trick.

Connor Durkin opened the scoring from Josh Robinson’s cross on 10 minutes; Chris Allan showed good control before chipping the keeper on 18 minutes; and Borhan Doski scrambled a third five minutes before half-time.

Doski got his second when the keeper fumbled on the hour and Sam Durkin’s fine shot from range into the 
corner made it 5-0 on 75 minutes.

Ryburn pulled one back from the penalty spot three minutes later after ‘keeper Dominic Nolan had collided with an attacker but Ashley Johnson had the last word with a free kick around the wall.

Manager Garry West said there were plenty of good sides in the division and his men were taking nothing for granted.

However Saturday’s trip to Ryburn School was a key game.

“We have not played too well recently but we passed the ball nicely last Saturday and hopefully we are starting to improve again,” added West.

Brighouse Old Boys Reserves lost 2-1 at home to Pool Reserves in a wind-effected West Yorkshire Alliance One home game.

Old Boys played against the wind in the first half and struggled to get across the half way line.

However, the back four of Dan Addy, Graham Tait, Rob Langley and Jordan Hadden played out of their skins, backed by the safe hands of Greg Byram.

Midfield pair Andy Burton and Warren Phillips also played a part in limiting Pool to just a couple of shots; the only real chance for Pool coming from a free kick which was blasted over the bar.

In fact Old Boys had the best chance, Dan Heavyside going through one-on-one but shooting straight at the ‘keeper.

From the start of the second half Pool seemed to handle the conditions better and took the lead on the hour with an own goal, ball rebounding off Hadden past the despairing arms of Byram.

Old Boys drew level with a spectacular free-kick from Burton but towards the end Pool had a disallowed goal 
and then scored the winner, clever interplay leading to a tap-in.