Resolute Town withstand pressure to forge ahead

Action from Scarborough v Brighouse
Action from Scarborough v Brighouse

A VERY professional, workmanlike first-half performance and then some gutsy rearguard action in the second half saw Town pull off a great away win at the seaside on Tuesday.

A Leon Osborne header in the 33rd minute sealed the win, although as manager Paul Quinn pointed out after the game, his side could have been two or three up by half-time.

“I thought we were full value for that win,” he said.

“It was a magnificent effort by the lads to come here on a Tuesday night and take all three points. We showed that there is tremendous character and team spirit in the squad and it showed how the players all pulled together when there was that first-half goalmouth scramble with Scarborough desperate for the equaliser.

“Leon (Osborne) and Luke (Parkin) put in a tremendous shift up front and the workrate right throughout the team was the reason we took the points.

“Ahead of the game I was saying I would have settled for a point here as they have been picking up points of late but this is a real bonus for us.”

The home side had the first chance on two minutes when Scott Brown blazed over the crossbar.

Town took charge and started to find the gaps aided by Ben Atkinson and Tom Haigh who was later booked for the third time this season. On 23 minutes Dan Illingworth just prodded wide from a corner and Osborne was denied by former Town and FC Halifax keeper Jordan Porter as the pressure was cranked up.

Skipper Adam Field, back in for James Pollard, was playing a good wing-back role with his fellow full-back Greg Pearson and this was where the one and only goal came from.

A great ball from Pearson found the head of Parkin and he headed across the box for Osborne to direct it wide of Porter and into the net.

Minutes later and Town could have been two up as Parkin lobbed the goalkeeper but from under the crossbar Jamil Ible just managed to clear. At the other end there was a game of pinball going on as Scarborough players stabbed at the ball and Brighouse pushed it back away from their line. It was only a matter of seconds but to the Town bench and travelling support it felt an eternity.

It was clear on the restart that home manager Steve Kittrick had given his side instructions to attack and Benny Igiehon shot just wide. The same player had been pushed right up and with his pace was causing Town problems and the linesman’s flag for offside twice came to their rescue.

On 55 minutes, Daniel Bunch replaced Mallory, and after Igiehon had gone behind the Town defence and then fired across goal, Quinn introduced more defensive power in Alex Low for Watson.

In what were now becoming rare Town breakaways, Parkin was just wide and Bunch could have done far better when breaking in from the left and firing well wide of the target.

In the last ten minutes of the game Scarborough and their fans put in claims for two penalties, easily waved away by referee Mr Hawksby, and Carl Stewart hit the crossbar.

Jamie Frost was brought on for Parkin in the 89th minute and he was chasing everything as Town defended resolutely for the six minutes of stoppage time.

Scarborough Athletic: Porter, Brown, Merris, Bloor, Humble, Ible, Stewart, C. Bolder, Igiehorn, A. Bolder, Birch. Subs: Price, Brown, Flint, Harrison, Morgan.

Brighouse Town: Taylor, Field, Pearson, Illingworth, Hewitt, Atkinson, Mallory (Bunch), Haigh, Osborne, Watson (Low), Parkin (Frost). Subs unused: Hall, Jerome.