Resilient Town pass tough Ashton test with flying colours

Brighouse Town v Retford.'Ernest Boafa for Brighouse.
Brighouse Town v Retford.'Ernest Boafa for Brighouse.
Share this article

A physical friendly for Brighouse Town ended successfully as they walked away with a victory against Evo Stik Premier side Curzon Ashton.

In the opening 25 minutes of the game both teams applied the pressure testing the keepers but it was Brighouse who had more possession and were actually playing the better football on a good surface.

The chipping away at the visitors’ goal worked in the 28th minute when Joe Mitchell played to Ryan Hall who then laid off to Ernest Boafo who in turn then set Tom Matthews up to shoot and score via keeper Hakan Burton’s body.

The scoreline remained 1-0 until the break when manager Paul Quinn made a substitution, replacing well known non-league custodian Jacob Giles with signed-on Adam Lawler.

Tall and powerful looking Giles was last season playing with Guiseley in the Blue Square North but has spent more time on the bench.

Apparently, he approached Quinn after the friendly game between the two sides last week and the end result he has arrived at the Dual Seal Stadium.

He has also been on the books at Huddersfield Town, Newport County, who have just returned to the Football League, and Leeds Carnegie.

Quinn said he was still negotiating his release from Guiseley but he was hopeful he would be joining them

Three minutes into the start of the second half and Brighouse made it 2-0 when Sam Hewitt put the ball in the back of the net from the edge of the six yard box.

Curzon replied quickly with their best attack yet on the Town goal two minutes later but Matt Warbuton’s attempt was snuffed out.

The challenges had all the earmarks of a league or cup encounter and it added to the entertainment for the decent-sized crowd.

Quinn had made a series of substitutions to give players game time and for a 20 minute period Curzon had more prominence and eventually scored to make it 2-1 in the 70th minute.

It came from a corner with ball going over keeper Lawler’s head and Matty Kay buried the ball in the back of the net.

Five minutes later and in quick succession Kay almost beat Lawler again, his header skimming the angle of the cross bar.

Now playing in heavy rain it was making for greasy conditions.

With five minutes to go Burton saved superbly from attempt to seal the game from Town’s Ryan Farrell.

Lawler then had to make two saves on the trot as Curzon replied.

Town made it 3-1 right at the death, denied two minutes earlier, Farrell put in a powerful dipping shot from 20 yards out to land firmly in the net.

Brighouse:Giles, Field, Henry, Small, Hewitt, Hurtley, Hall, Mitchell, Boafo, Matthews, Gibson. Subs: Ryan, Lawler, Bradshaw, Warrington, Farrell, Naidole.

Referee: Ian Johnson

Brighouse Town 3

Curzon Ashton 1

By Emily Anderson