Quinn’s praise for merciless Town

Brighouse Town v Winterton Rangers. Luke Gibson.
Brighouse Town v Winterton Rangers. Luke Gibson.

“CLINICAL”, that was the word player-manager Paul Quinn used at the end of this victory.

Town were relentless apart from a short spell in the second half, and with more composed finishing - and without coming up against a keeper on top form - the score could easily have seen Town with 10 or more goals to their name.

Brighouse Town v Winterton Rangers. Danny Naidole

Brighouse Town v Winterton Rangers. Danny Naidole

Town opened the scoring on 10 minutes through Luke Gibson who capitalised on some neat work down the left and fired in on the angle across keeper Steve Wibberley. This stunned Winterton into action and Glen Rafferty headed just wide from a corner.

Three minutes after the first goal it looked as though number two was on the cards but Tom Matthews shot over the crossbar before Ernest Boafa missed the target after receiving a good pass from Ben Thornton and Wibberley denied Matthews before deflecting the ball for a corner off Tom Brown.

Town deservedly did make it 2-0 on 19 minutes when centre back Ben Charlesworth found the net after good work by the skilful Matthews.

Wibberley again came to his side’s rescue with saves from Matthews and the hard working Joe Mitchell before denying Gibson, Greg Porter and then Boafa.

The Lincolnshire club’s keeper put in a real man of the match performance as with half time approaching he denied Mitchell and Matthews and then Danny Naidole after a nice one-two with Boafa.

Boafa and Naidole both went close while there was a scare at the other end but Town keeper Tom Taylor saved on the line from Josh Batty but the referee’s assistant’s flag was already up for offside.

Winterton captain Simon Ward missed a golden opportunity to pull a goial back early in the second half before Boafa blazed wide for Town.

Quinn then replaced Gibson with James Hurtley who went on to have a great 40 minutes.

Winterton were looking to get back in the game and Batty thought he had scored but his shot was deflected wide at the last minute and after the corner was snuffed out Town started to come back in to the game.

It wasn’t going to be Matthew’s day to be on the scoresheet as he was again denied two minutes later and then Charlesworth headed over.

The underworked Taylor then saved point blank from Robbie Smart and at the other end Wibberley saved with his feet from Tom Brown.

Charlesworth was then replaced by James Sutcliffe and the fresh legs brought new impetus and impetus Naidole made it 3-0 after Hurtley had spoon fed him a great pass.

Antony Brown came on to replace Naidole and produced an excellent performance in the remaining time.

Wibberley again saved well from Matthews before denying Hurtley and Brown.

Quinn said: “I would love to see some stats on how many shots we had on target,”

”At 2-0 it is always dangerous and I wanted the game sewn up but we just didn’t have that composure in front of goal. Then again their keeper played a blinder.

“I am just delighted in the end with the three points. I wanted a good start to the month.”

Town: Taylor, Thornton, Tom Borwn, Charlesworth, Jagger, Porter, Naidole, Mitchell, Boafa, Matthews, Gibson. Subs: Hurtley, Sutcliffe, Antony Brown, Quinn.

Winterton: Wibberley, Edwards, Tracey, Rafferty, Spence, Ward, Anderson, Reed, Draper, Batty, Smart. Subs: Pearson, Hammond, McDonagh, Buckley, Corcoran.

BRIGHOUSE Town Reserves followed up their demolition of Eccleahill United with an excellent 5-2 success at champions Thackley.

The game started a frantic pace, with Thackley dominating possession and Brighouse taking time to come to terms with the opposition. When they did gain possession it was quickly given away through slow play or wasteful passing.

It was no surprise when Thackley took the lead after a crude challenge by Brighouse captain Paul Moore and a flatted footed defence allowed the opposition captain to turn the ball into the Brighouse net from the free-kick.

Great interplay between Eli Hey and Ryan Hall saw the Thackley keeper pull off a great save to deny the latter and from the resulting corner Will Tolley delivered a great cross for Moore to head powerfully home.

Brighouse added a second on the half hour when an accurate long ball from Robbie Wadsworth released Hall to cut inside the last defender and square for Hey to sweep home.

Brighouse squandered possession within two minutes of the second ha;f and allowed Thackley to equalise. However, Brighouse showed their mettle and Matt Hartley powered upfield before passing to Hall to beat the advancing keeper.

The introduction of Nawfal Mohamed and Jordan Townend allowed Brighouse to take control of the game. Hall continued to dominate proceedings and released Hey for 4-2, after which great skill from Matty Waller and an incisive through ball to Hall allowed him to score his second and Brighouse’s fifth.

The next fixture is a home game against Eccleshill at St Giles Road on Saturday, (2pm).